Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backfire on cold start

Greetings wise men/women of the forum.
    My 81 450t has been running like a champ since I cleaned the carbs; replaced o-rings, dipped, all the good stuff. I also recently replaced the coils, ignitor and signal generator. Also there is a bug somewhere in the fuel delivery that necessitates riding with the fuel cock in the PRI position then returning it to the on position when off. I say bug because the petcock is new and sometimes it will run in the on position.
    Anyway i will get to the point. The other day i had left the petcock not fully in the ON position and i tried to start her and BAM! backfire. This was followed by an unusual smell. Yesterday she started fine. Today, backfire again. I pulled the plugs and the left side was wet right side dry.
    Does no spark in one cylinder cause an overload in the other and cause a backfire?
    Any thoughts?

First thought is it is not an ignition problem. I'm inclined to suspect a leaking petcock which is allowing fuel to seep into one cylinder via the vacuum line. I avoided that problem area on my 450 by installing a manual Pingel petcock. No vacuum line, manual on/off/reserve.

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Unburnt fuel on the non-firing stroke. The plug still fires with valves open.
      Sounds like you got a bunk petcock.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I'd also check that the needle float isn't excessively worn and that the float is also at the right level, as the petcock is only one of three things that must malfunction in order for excessive fuel to be leaked through to the carby's.

Comment

Thank you. I appreciate the feedback. I checked both of those when i had them apart two months ago. I dread doing that again so soon. Earlfor, what did you have to do to mount that petcock? Did it bolt right on?
          Last edited by Guest; 02-10-2009, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mike-s View Post
            I'd also check that the needle float isn't excessively worn and that the float is also at the right level, as the petcock is only one of three things that must malfunction in order for excessive fuel to be leaked through to the carby's.

The fuel inlet valves may be leaking, but fuel will not flow when the engine is not running if the petcock is shutting of fuel flow properly. Its like sticking a straw in a glass of water. Both ends are open, but put your finger over the top end of the straw, lift it out of the glass and it will hold water even though the bottom end is open.

Earl
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

get total control of your fuel.

the fuel tap is the first stop in the delivery chain. fluid side - vacuum side- liquid has weight and pressure from gravity. it will find a way closer to the earth even while we sleep. inside the bike or out it don't care.

next is the float needles same deal there

worry about spark after the fuel is under total control. and get a couple few new NGK plugs.
              SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Working...
              X