GS1100E Rectifer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100E Rectifer

Howdy, I just purchased a 1982 GS1100E for cheap $ (third GS I have owned) and it has a charging system problem I am unfamiliar with. According to the previous owner the rectifer "burnt up". He cut the rectifer loose and the bike fires up and runs with a freshly charged battery.

My questions to you knowledgeable folks is this: What would cause the recifier to burn? Will replacing only rectifer solve the problem or should I replace the alernator and so forth?

You may just have a blown regulator or it could be the generator I've just fix my setup and the page on this site ( the old Q and A on the home page) was invaluable, check the fuses as well. The regulator should put out 12-14v and the gen 70-80v alternating current, I bought a regulator with a sixth wire which checks the current in the system and should save future burnouts. you will need a digital multi-meter to check the system. The good news is it will run on fully charged battery for around 20 to 30 miles no problem.

Keith S

Comment

Also Hap Call knows a lot about this subject. PM him if you need to.

Comment

my answer got posted twice and I can't figure out how to delete it. :mrgreen:

Comment

Thanks Keith, If it goes up and down or side to side, I can fix it. It's that invisible Eeeelectronic stuff that always gets in the way

Comment

Working...
          X