Tach Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach Cable

Why would my tach cable keep coming undone and seem to short?

Originally posted by Marine36 View Post
    1. Someone installed the wrong cable and it is too short.
    2. It is the correct cable, but routed incorrectly, making it too short.
    3. Both of the above. :-)

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

yes it could just be routed wrong, my speedo cable used to get really loose. There is a page in the clymer manual that shows the intended rout for the cables

Comment

Originally posted by Marine36 View Post
        Is it coming loose from the motor, if so I had the same thing happen. Get an O-ring from Ace hardware it worked great for me and cost about 25 cents.

Comment

Buy the right cable from Suzuki. Try mrcycles.com
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadrash View Post
            Is it coming loose from the motor, if so I had the same thing happen. Get an O-ring from Ace hardware it worked great for me and cost about 25 cents.
            Yes, this. Even with a Suzuki cable, I find that inserting an o-ring into the fitting gives the barrel of the cable something to "squish" against, and really helps to keep this from vibrating loose. This isn't a precision seal -- just experiment until you find an o-ring that will drop in.

Also, it's a big help to the GSR hive Mind if you care to reveal the secret of WHAT FRACKING BIKE YOU ARE WORKING ON. Sorry, we've had a rash of mystery machines lately.

It's common to find that aftermarket (Motion Blow) cables are listed incorrectly. The fittings on GS cables are all pretty much the same, but there are a lot of errors in MP's length listings. Suzuki cables are far better quality and maybe cost a buck or two more.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I am sorry. The bike in question is a 1983 GS1100G. The cable has come loose at bothe the tach and the motor. The cable measures 24". I am unable to find out what the correct length should be. I am also unable to find the correct routing in my clymer manual. Thanks again.

Comment

Hi Mr. Marine36,

The tachometer cable is Suzuki part# 34940-45212, available at any number of dealers (well, they might have to order it) and online vendors for around $12 - $16.

http://www.alpha-sports.com has it listed for $15.90.

http://www.flatoutmotorcycles.com has is listed for $10.69.

BY CLICKING HERE you can find many more of our favorite online vendors.

From page 11-5 of my GS850G manual:

TACHOMETER CABLE

MOUNTING
                Route the tachometer cable from the rear
                portion of the tachometer between the
                steering head pipe and right front fork and
                mount it on the cylinder head cover.
                At this time make sure that the inner cable
                engages the tachometer gear, and tighten
                the cable nut.

There was no illustration in the wire and cable routing diagrams. I guess it's such a short run, there was no need.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                Last edited by Guest; 02-03-2009, 08:47 PM.

Comment

I had a simular problem. Tach would stop working. So, I disconnected the tach side, pushed the cable in and it worked. Happened a few times. pulled the engine side and found the cable END was slipping off of cable.
                  slipped it back in, and pinched it with vice grips. Never happened again.

Comment

Working...
                  X