Master Cylinder piston won't come out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Master Cylinder piston won't come out.

I'm trying to get the master cylinder apart to rebuild it, but I can't get the piston out. I've soaked it in PB Blaster for about two days now. I've even tried using compressed air. Still won't budge. Yes the circlip is out. Any ideas?

Originally posted by ThomasTedder View Post
    I'm trying to get the master cylinder apart to rebuild it, but I can't get the piston out. I've soaked it in PB Blaster for about two days now. I've even tried using compressed air. Still won't budge. Yes the circlip is out. Any ideas?
    Have you tried a little heat on the body? If not I think I would put it in a small can with PB and put that can in a small pan with some water in it on a stove and cook it a while. Ray
    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Since you're going to rebuild it anyway drop it in a can of Berrymans.
      The heat idea sound good too.
      Last edited by chef1366; 02-03-2009, 01:12 PM.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Its probably just stuck from years of neglect. Use the PB blaster and let it soak. I've removed one from an 850L that was pretty stuck. Try this.. put the brake lever on the mc body with the bolt but reverse it so the hook part of the lever catches the lip on the mc piston. Basically it works like a pry bar. Work it back and forth to raise the piston. Don't go crazy and put gorilla force on it cause you don't want to break the lever. I found this worked better than a pair of pliers because it was hard to get the pliers into the well around the piston. Hope this makes sense.

Comment

Can't do the PB in the house. My wife swears we're all gonna die from cancer every time she thinks she smells a fume.

I was considering the Berrymans. In a few more days, after the carbs are done soaking I'll try this if it's still stuck.

almarconi, I'm trying to imagine in my head how to use my lever as a .....lever. Could you please explain this a little better?

Comment

please do i am having the same problem with one of my bikes.....

Comment

almarconi, I'm trying to imagine in my head how to use my lever as a .....lever. Could you please explain this a little better?
              Instead of trying to explain it..I took some pictures..The mc I have is for an L type bike..

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                Instead of trying to explain it..I took some pictures..The mc I have is for an L type bike..

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...hp?albumid=316

Well I just tried that, but the shoulder was already rounded off from the screwdriver I was using to pry with. Good idea, though.

Any other ideas?

Comment

I would get another master cylinder. Once you get it out you may find the bore is not serviceable anymore.
                  1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                  1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Try some heat and maybe a needle nose vise grips. Are you going to buy a rebuild kit for the mc. If the piston is toast you can try putting a rod in through wear the banjo bolt threads into and driving the piston out.

Comment

I would get another master cylinder. Once you get it out you may find the bore is not serviceable anymore.
                      That is another option. I'd work on it a little longer and see what it looks like inside.

Comment

If the piston is toast you can try putting a rod in through wear the banjo bolt threads into and driving the piston out.
                        This is what I did and it worked great, just got the brakes rebuilt and all seems well and good.

Comment

Try some heat and maybe a needle nose vise grips. Are you going to buy a rebuild kit for the mc. If the piston is toast you can try putting a rod in through wear the banjo bolt threads into and driving the piston out.
                          I've done that in the past, but I don't think the design of this m/c will allow that. The bolt hole is on the bottom and the piston is on the side. Could you describe a little more please, if I'm misunderstanding you.

Comment

If you do get it apart use a shotgun cleaning brush to remove rust from the entrance. I find it is the perfect sized tool for the job and the brass won't scratch the harder steel.
                            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I was able to fit it in with one of the carbs in the Berryman's. I'll try again after it has a good soak.

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                              If you do get it apart use a shotgun cleaning brush to remove rust from the entrance. I find it is the perfect sized tool for the job and the brass won't scratch the harder steel.
                              Good idea. I happen to have more guns than most of people on this forum have motorcycles. Finding a bore brush will be easy.

Comment

Working...
                              X