No announcement yet.

Master Cylinder piston won't come out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope you have both circlips out. One is for the rubber boot dust cover, that comes out easy. Then there's a snap ring underneath it. On mine, I just used a set of needle nose vice gribs to clamp onto the piston. I just yanked it out hard.

Comment

I've done that in the past, but I don't think the design of this m/c will allow that. The bolt hole is on the bottom and the piston is on the side. Could you describe a little more please, if I'm misunderstanding you.
      My comments were geared towards the L style master cylinder. After looking at the parts fiche for the G model this would not work.

I would try to soak the part, apply heat and continue to try and move the piston. Eventually it will come out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbash 27 View Post
        I hope you have both circlips out. One is for the rubber boot dust cover, that comes out easy. Then there's a snap ring underneath it. On mine, I just used a set of needle nose vice gribs to clamp onto the piston. I just yanked it out hard.
        Well if there's a second circlip in there, that could explain things. I looked, but maybe it's hiding under some rust.

Comment

Well if there's a second circlip in there, that could explain things. I looked, but maybe it's hiding under some rust
          What did the clip you removed look like?

The one that holds the boot on is a piece of wire shaped like a half circle

The one that hold the piston on looks similar to this..
          Last edited by Guest; 10-06-2009, 08:53 AM.

Comment

To remove the snap ring you need a pair of snap ring pliers with very long jaws or a machinists scribe. I used a scribe because I had one and didn't want to spend the money on the pliers.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
              What did the clip you removed look like?

The one that holds the boot on is a piece of wire shaped like a half circle

The one that hold the piston on looks similar to this..
              That's the one I removed. I have a "special master cylinder tool" that I made. It's a fork with three of the legs bent down and one left straight. Works like a champ on CB's too.

Whew, glad I wasn't banging on it for no reason.

Comment

Where you able to remove the piston?

Comment

Where you able to remove the piston?
                  No. It's still soaking in the Berrymans. I'll let you know.

Comment

I had a master cyl rusted solid on my gsx250, using penetrene on it and topping it up each night for a week after removing the circlips didn't do a damned thing. Gave up after doing that, trying heat (couldnt use to much, given the res was plastic) didn't do a damned thing. Ended up with a master cyl from a gpx250 on there instead and it works fantastically (its all metal as well, im not a huge fan of plastic being used on the master cyl's)..

Comment

It's FREE!

The Berrymans and PB Blaster didn't do a damn thing. Neither did me and my brother playing tug-of-war. I drilled a hole and screwed a screw into the piston, then used a hammer to pry it out.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

I was going to suggest hydraulic pressure, connect the cylinder up to the brake line to the rear caliper, then step on the brake.
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

That is one ugly looking piston...how does the bore look?

Comment

That is one ugly looking piston...how does the bore look?
                            Not too good. Lots of rust. It's starting to clean up. I'm kind of worried that if I buy a new piston/cup it may not work.

Comment

If there is rust in the bore you either need to hone or get a different one.
                              I like your ThomasTedder engineering.
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yeah!! Nothing like a bit of LEVERAGE, ay Bill.

Comment

Working...
                                X