1980 kz 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 kz 1000

I'll say i'm sorry in advance, i do own a 1979 gs750e, but interested in buying a 1980 kz1000 with charging problems. the bikes listed at ebay.ca for $900, 70,000 kms, fully dressed.

anybody know of any particular problems specific to this model that i should be wary of?

the owner drives it with a fully charged battery, and the details on ebay are vague.

i know this is a gs suzuki forum, but there's no other site like this one in the world.

hope nobody is too offended by this post

rgds

jimlong

Re: 1980 kz 1000

I was always fond of my Kawi's. I dont know of the KZ's being particularly susceptable to RR problems like the Suzi's are, but I think it happens with all old bikes sooner or later. Probably just check to make sure whether or not its the RR, stator, or just bad wiring. If I found one in good shape that I liked, I would buy it.

Earl

Originally posted by jimlong
    I'll say i'm sorry in advance, i do own a 1979 gs750e, but interested in buying a 1980 kz1000 with charging problems. the bikes listed at ebay.ca for $900, 70,000 kms, fully dressed.

anybody know of any particular problems specific to this model that i should be wary of?

the owner drives it with a fully charged battery, and the details on ebay are vague.

i know this is a gs suzuki forum, but there's no other site like this one in the world.

hope nobody is too offended by this post

rgds

jimlong
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

This may not be it but again it might. The earlier Z-1`s had a half moon shear key on the rotor. The later engines did not. The later bikes were bad to have the rotor come loose. Does the starter still work??

Comment

I'm like cbxchris, if the rotor, and the mounting surface on the end of the crank is ok, i.e. the electric starter working, the stator, R/R, or wireing shouldn't be a big deal. One of my buddies rides a "79" KZ 1000 shaft, a really nice bike.

Comment

KZ1000 are great bikes...get it if you can.

Hap

Comment

Don't apologize about considering a Kawasaki, or any other brand, for that matter. No one here will or should be offended; if so, they have a big problem, not you...

Get the Kawasaki. The late 70's/early 80's UJM's are all great bikes.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
              Don't apologize about considering a Kawasaki, or any other brand, for that matter. No one here will or should be offended; if so, they have a big problem, not you...

Get the Kawasaki. The late 70's/early 80's UJM's are all great bikes.

Nick
              Amen, Brother Nick!

Hap

Comment

How far from Canada are you.

I just fournd a 79 Z1R ON e-BAY. If you like Kawasaki you might as well get one worth some money. This one is in Manatoba Canada though. It is still cheap, but might get out of your price range in a hury. You never know though. Someone may steal it for a grand or two.

Comment

Working...
                X