another 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another 1100

I just purchased another 1981 gs 1100 E. Smokes but runs good, was thinking about just putting valve seals to see if it helps. Compression good, Want to do that without taking head off.dont know if anyone done that and if so any suggestions.do rocker arms have to come off thanks

If the bike has been sitting, I'd first try to see if the rings may be an issue.

Put a small dose of Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder and ride it for a ways. The MMO will make it smoke more , but will fade away soon.

If you do find you need new valve stem seals, the cams, rockers and springs have to come off. You will need a specialized valve spring compressor and probably need to pressurize the cylinder to hold the valves in place.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

It has not been sitting, but petcock let fuel into crankcase and was rode 12 miles before they found out. They said oil was changed 2 time and lived with it smoking. Ive heard there is a way to tell if its valve seals or rings dont remember thanks
      Last edited by tlg1100; 02-03-2009, 07:14 PM. Reason: add

Comment

your valve guides would have to be egg shaped for it to smoke that bad.
        anytime ive seen this before...its been the rings/cyl. scratches from the metal to metal contact.
        gas washing the cylinders down is bad bad.

Comment

The rings might seat eventually but I'd put in a new set and hone the cylinders.
          Doing the valve stem seals is always a good idea if you have it apart.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

In most cases, if the valve stem seals are bad, you will notice a puff of smoke on start up that will disapate within a few moments. if the rings are bad, it will smoke all the time. There is a possability that #2 clyinder has been washed down, that is where the petcock gets its vacuum signal from. I would change the oil and filter again, take it for a good long ride, and if it still smokes, your probably in for a rebuild.

Comment

You can replace the valve stem seals with the head still on - I tried it once years ago on a GS (either a 550 or a 750, I forget) - bit of rope pushed in the plug hole to hold the valve up. However, it's waaay easier to pull the head and replace them the normal way.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

What are the compression numbers?
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

compression was very good dont have numbers ,but i was surprised because they were close and around 150?

Comment

Working...
                  X