Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1000 front caliper on a 750

Basically, will it fit?

We're rebuilding the brakes on my buddy's 77 750 and his idea of getting the piston out of the caliper wasn't the same as mine. I use compressed air (a little dangerous, I know, but effective and easy), and he thought he would pry it out with a screwdriver. So, now he either needs a new piston or a whole new caliper. It didn't occur to him that the sealing surface wouldn't seal so well with scratches and gouges. Other than that, it's a beautiful example of a perfect piston.

Since I'm doing the Ninja dual brake conversion on my 1000 I have the stock caliper just sitting around. It's in great shape still and I took it all apart tonight and cleaned it up. Looks almost new.

So my question is, will my 78 1000 caliper fit on his 77 750? I know that the pad part numbers are different.

I'd just take the stuff to his house and check for myself, but he lives over an hour away.

compressed air and a shop rag, never failed me yet!!!

Comment

The rebuild kits from Suzuki contain new pistons and seals, and are quite reasonably priced.

Not sure if your calipers would fit.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Seems like a shame to buy new stuff if my perfectly good stuff will work. I might have to just tour up there and try it out. Can always order the kit if it doesn't fit.

Comment

Go to one of the parts sites with a fiche on it and compare part numbers. Open it in two windows (it saves a lot of navigation). You can usually make a good comparison and see if they are close enough to work even if the part numbers are different. Here's one I buy from a lot.

Just on a side note, a LOT of the mechanical stuff (not body) from a similar year 1000 will fit on my gs750t.

-james

Comment

I just looked, and they look different to me, but I'm not sure that I looked at the exact same model. There is always ebay, which is where I get a lot of stuff.

-james

Comment

In the UK those calipers are the same.

99.99% of the time compressed air works for popping out the pistons. However, I had one really jammed in once on a Yamaha (I think, may have been a Triumph) and the only way to get it out was drill in from the back and punch it out - and I'm talking big hits with the hammer. Amazingly (for such a jammed piston) the bore was ok so I had the hole welded up and it worked fine.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

If they both have the same round pad, should work fine.

Comment

This is how i remove pistons, it is especially effective at getting stuck ones out provided you are careful and don't allow any air leaks INTO the pistons before the g clamp is applied.

keep the caliper connected to the hose and remove it from the fork/swingarm. I then pump the piston up and slowly push the piston out. Generally one piston is more free in its movement (it's blindingly obvious this is the case if the pads are worn in a lopsided manner).

Once it looks like it is about to pop out i use a g clamp and stop it moving out and then pressure starts being exerted on the stuck piston(s). Once that piston pops out (i keep it in an old ice cream container to stop brake fluid splatter) i then remove the g clamp and the first piston.

Only issue with this method is that it will waste a bit more brake fluid as you need to continually top up the master cylinder every 10 or so full lever compressions to stop air bubbles from happening (or worsening if there are some already).
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-04-2009, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X