Brake bleeding question (83 GS750E)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake bleeding question (83 GS750E)

I just installed my new calipers (thanks Gary) and I tried bleeding them. Now mind you, this is the first time I've bled the brakes on anything. I bought a nice new vacuum bleeding took from Sears and went at it.

Well... not quite what I was expecting. I could never get the tube to fill completely with brake fluid. It would just be a trickle coming from the bleeder valve. Did I do this right?

I did bled the rear brake too so I could get all the 20 year old nasty looking fluid out. The old fluid came pouring out the hose, but once the new stuff replaced it, it slowed to a slow trickle.

Is this what it's supposed to do. BTW, if it matters I used DOT 3 fluid.

The easy way that I do it is to fit a hose to the bleader, put the end of the hose into a container (old water bottle) with an inch or two of brake fluid
    in the bottle covering the hose. Open the bleader screw. then pump the brake handle/pedel until there are no air bubbles and the fluid is clear. Close the bleader screw Remenber to keep the resivior full.
    Due to many years of storage 15+ I could not get the brakes to blead on my 77 GS750, Reason There was too much crud in the line for the fluid to get thru Changed the lines
    Blead the brakes again No problems

Comment

So where's a cheap place I can get new brake lines?

Comment

From your Suzuki parts supplier Or Stainless Steel lines

Comment

Craig Fouts of buy@industrialliquidators.com will make you steel lines in any length with whatever type fittings you need for alot less than most people want.

Comment

Alternate method for bleeding brakes.. Attatch hose on bleeder and direct old fluid to bottle (to later dispose of). One caliper at a time, start with closest. Open bleeder, depress and hold brake, close bleeder, release brake. Repeat until air is out of system. It's monotonous, but it works for me and I can be a big dummy sometimes. Maybe you'll get the same results.. but maybe not. Good luck.. JOE

Comment

I fell for the gimmicky speed bleeder system, but you know what they work real well and only 7 bucks a piece , speedbleeder.com, now I'm new to all this stuff as well and any extra help I can find is fine with me, and listen to the guys here they know there stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by joeinglis
                Alternate method for bleeding brakes.. Attatch hose on bleeder and direct old fluid to bottle (to later dispose of). One caliper at a time, start with closest. Open bleeder, depress and hold brake, close bleeder, release brake. Repeat until air is out of system. It's monotonous, but it works for me and I can be a big dummy sometimes. Maybe you'll get the same results.. but maybe not. Good luck.. JOE
                The open & close method has always worked for me and you won't suck any of the old fluid back into the line... It's alot easier with two people (one to open and close the bleed screw and one to operate the brake).

Comment

Working...
                X