83 850 GL: Ingnition cover / Grips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 850 GL: Ingnition cover / Grips

I just picked up my second GS after many years away. A good deal on the bike, Bad news is that it was laid down on it's right side and the ignition cover was destroyed and some of the internals are tweaked.

How do I replace the right side black rubber / copper coil contacts? Any specs / spacing to be aware of?

There is a metal bracket (off the crank) that spins around, but will not come off. Guessing this triggers the spark plugs?

19 mm nut / with a size nine allen middle. Both rusted. Do they turn separate directions?

Anyone have an extra cover laying around?

Also, best way to get throttle grip off without damaging controls?

Thanks

Chris
    Austin, TX

Also, best way to get throttle grip off without damaging controls?
    If you don't want to reuse the grip, cut it off with a razor blade.

If you want to reuse the grip, pull it back a little and shoot some wd-40
    in there. Work it back and forth (I use a piece of coat hanger wire or long thin screwdriver) and the grip will slip off.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!

Hi Mr. ATX 850,

Welcome back. I noticed an ignition cover on ebay just now, as well as an entire bottom end, a final drive, etc. But that's not the reason I stopped by...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

You'll find a manual and lots of other GS850G lovin' on my website. Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the info Cliff.

I'll be sure to check out some of the other mods on your page once I get the bike up and running.

CB

Comment

Does the scene under the ignition cover look like this?

(From this page: http://bwringer.com/gs/tdc.html )

In the very center is the head of an allen bolt (socket head bolt, if you prefer). It unscrews in the normal direction, but it's held in with thread locker, so it takes an impact gun or a LOT of torque to break it loose. You can put the bike in gear and hold the rear brake. Make sure you use a high-quality hex bit -- I think it's 6mm.

This bolt holds in the rotor, which is the bit with the tab sticking out at 10:00 in the photo. The rotor is indexed to the crank with a pin, so don't worry about misalignment.

The pickups (triggers) should be 180 degrees apart, and the tab on the rotor should not contact either pickup when it rotates. There's a spec in the manual for the gap between these pieces, but as long as they're equal you're probably OK.

The whole thing pretty much just screws together one way. I think the mounting holes for the plate holding the pickups are slotted so that you can loosen the three screws holding the mounting plate and adjust the timing a bit. This adjustment is not normally needed.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

i had no idea that 850's ever used an electronic advance ignition.
            with that being said...i have alot of these parts.
            ATX850,if you are in the US what state are you in?

Comment

Thanks again everyone

A perfect picture to describe what I am looking at. Thanks so much. I wasn't sure which way to crank that thing as there was so much rust.

Yeah, the right trigger and cover got smashed when the bike was laid down. Maybe bent the bolt that spins and makes uneven contact. No impact gun laying around, but I will look for a better allen wrench and some leverage.

FYI, in Austin Texas.

CB

Comment

I hope they didn't damage the dowel that goes into the end of the crank and the crank itself. This could be a problem.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                X