Rear MC alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear MC alternatives

After taking all my brakes apart on the 1000 for cleaning, I found that the rear MC is pretty much screwed. Might have been the original fluid, and is brown and sludgy. Well, what was left of the fluid. Judging by the build up of crud, the seals are all leaking.

So, rather than buy a rebuild kit, I was wondering if there is a more modern MC that will work. Mounts and linkage don't matter. I can fab up any brackets or rods that I'll need. Ideally, I'd want the braking power to be the same as stock. I know I read somewhere what size the bore is, just can't remember. Just wondering if anyone knows anything off the top of their head.

Edit: Found that the stock rear MC is 14mm. So, I should be looking for something around that.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-04-2009, 01:41 PM.

Rudy, Sounds like the condition of the ones I've encountered on old bikes. Never replaced one always rebuilt them. They have more than enough oomph to do the job and the rebuild is easy and not costly. Just my opinion. Ray
    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

I agree - just rebuild it if the bore is not corroded.

There's no guarantee a used one won't need to be rebuilt

The GS 1000 suffers from an easy to lock rear brake as it is. More oomph will be a problem
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

That rear MC is a good design and holds its own today. If you don't want to rebuild try and get another working one from a breaker or Ebay. The MC is common to loads of different Suzuki models so you won't have to hunt far.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Rear kits are only like 25 dollars. You need fabrication skills and welding equipment to use something else.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Hmmmm, just checked Z1 for the kit. Don't know why I didn't look there before. Listed for $23 and change. Not too bad. Everywhere else I've looked they want something ridiculous like $50, plus extravagant shipping charges. I know I need a new snap ring and the boot that covers the end. Because that boot is disintegrated, the snap ring was rusted beyond usefulness. Everything else was pretty nasty too. That was the reason I was considering a whole other MC.

I really don't need or want more power in the back, especially since I'll have doubled or tripled the power in the front, making the back even lighter under braking.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Comment

I have a good 1980 GS1000 rear M/C you can have for $25 + shipping. PM me if you're interested.

Comment

Working...
              X