Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs750????

Hello,
    First off I would like to introduce myself and say thanks to everybody here. I have never owned a motorcycle before last June. My bike needs a lot of work and I have no idea what I’m doing. By reading this forum for hours on end I’m starting to learn. I have had some work done to it, but I’m learning to do the work myself.
    Now to my question. I have a 78 GS750, but I don’t know what letter/model it is. My vin# is GS75040368. I would like to order an exhaust for it, but is it a “GS750L” “GS750E” or something else. Thanks

In 1978, there is:

a "base" model with wire wheels and one front brake
    an "E" model with cast wheels and double front disc brakes and other minor differences

The exhaust systems will be the same for both.

I don't think the L models started until 1979. They are sorta cruiserish, with a big stepped seat, small tank and pull back handlebars.

If you've been reading for months, you've been to the Basscliff website and learned how to post pictures here.. Post up a picture for comments.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by alton_blair View Post
      Hello,
      First off I would like to introduce myself and say thanks to everybody here. I have never owned a motorcycle before last June. My bike needs a lot of work and I have no idea what I’m doing. By reading this forum for hours on end I’m starting to learn. I have had some work done to it, but I’m learning to do the work myself.
      Now to my question. I have a 78 GS750, but I don’t know what letter/model it is. My vin# is GS75040368. I would like to order an exhaust for it, but is it a “GS750L” “GS750E” or something else. Thanks
      Welcome to the GSR. And congrats for learning how to turn your own wrenches. You'll find lots of personal gratification in that.

As for your model, I would refer you to the home page. There you will find a link to model identification. Check it out. You will find that there was no "L" model bike in '78. The '78 GS750C only came in D's & E's (I personally don't know what a D is).

To help you further, a little more info is needed. Single front rotor? Spoked wheels? This would make it a basic GS750C. Mags & dual front brakes will give you a GS750EC. A picture or two would also be helpful to identify your scooter.

Good luck with all the work. We love to help a fellow GS'er out. Kinda makes it a group project!
      Last edited by Guest; 02-05-2009, 12:13 PM.

Comment

I have been to Basscliff's website and I will post some pics this weekend. Thank you for your help on the exhaust. I plan on going with a 4 into 2.

Comment

Mine must be the base. I have one rotor in front and spoke wheels.

Comment

Definity

1978 GS750C with that chassis number, the first '78 C was GS75032604 and the last '78 was GS75044361.

Comment

That's awsome to know I have #7764 of my bike produced.....it's little tidbits like that, that make my bike more special to me.

Comment

I fitted a Jama Original system 4-2, on my 78 GS750E.

No complaints.

Footy.

Comment

Working...
                X