Oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil?

As you all know I'm new here. What I was wondering was what would be the best oil for my GS. I'm getting it ready for riding and I want everything ready within the next couple of weeks. Thanks.

Heavy Duty Diesel oil... 15W-40

Rotella, I use Motorcraft 15-40, but any 15-40 is good stuff.

You can also use 5-40 rotella synthetic.

You can use car oil 10-40/20-50 but you need to look on the back of the bottle at the "starburst" to make sure it is not an energy conserving oil. Many cats on here have/do use Castrol 10-40.

The idea behind the diesel blend is that it has more zddp (zinc)---good for cams, than a 10-40 castrol GTX.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-06-2009, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Havoline and Valvoline BOTH say their 10-40 is NOT recommended for use in engines with wet clutches due to the added moly content to make up for the lack of ZDDP.

Used to be any oil that was 40 wt (single or multi wt) or higher did not have the moly, or "friction modifier" in it.

Other than that, any good quality oil in the proper weight for your bike is fine.

Myself, I use either of the Rotellas.

Comment

Try using the search function, there are pages and pages of discussions on common questions like oil, tires etc there.

Comment

Working...
        X