WILL ONLY RUN FULLY CHOKED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WILL ONLY RUN FULLY CHOKED

MY 83 GS750T WILL ONLY RUN WHEN THE CARBS ARE FULLY CHOKED. AS SOON AS TAKE AWAY SOME OF THE CHOKE IT DIES. THE ENGINE RUNS AT ABOUT 3,000 RPM WHEN FULLY CHOKED. WHEN THE BIKE IS RUNNING FULLY CHOKED IF I GIVE IT ANY THROTTLE AT ALL IT DIES AS WELL. I HAD JUST CLEANED THE CARBS BY MY SERVICE MANUALS DIRECTIONS AS WELL. I AM VERY FRUSTRATED ON WHAT THE ISSUE COULD BE. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE HELPFUL. THANKS

ENJOY YOUR RIDE !

kEITH GRANT
    NORTH CAROLINA

Re: WILL ONLY RUN FULLY CHOKED

The engine rpm increasing to aprox 3000 on full choke is normal. Usually, a few seconds after starting, the rpm begins to rise and you would in small stages reduce choke to control rpm. So, I assume any reduction in choke setting causes the engine to die. Adding throttle when holding full choke will cause both of my bikes to die, so I assume this is normal as there is nothing wrong with the carburation on either of my bikes.

WE know ignition is OK because it does fire up and run on choke and obviously, fuel is available. If fuel was flowing through the idle circuits, it would run without choke, so the question I come to is, What would cause fuel to not flow, or flow insufficiently in idle range to cause the engine to not run at idle speed.

A couple of things come to mind. Do you have the stock aircleaner box and element installed? CV carbs are rather fussy about having the correct back pressure. Are the induction tubes in good condition and tight?
    Have you checked the diaphrams to be sure they are not cracked or have any holes in them?

The idle system picks up fuel with the throttle closed or slightly opened.
    Fuel from the float chamber passes through the main jet, and is metered by the pilot jet and then mixes with air from the pilot air jet. This mixture goes up through the pilot pipe to the pilot screw and is sprayed into the main bore through the pilot outlet. I am guessing that you have cleaned your jets and emulsion tubes, but that you have not cleaned the internal passageways between the main jet and the pilot. The idle range circuit/pilot jet is fed internally from the main jet, so cleaning the jets is only part of the cleaning process. You may be able to clean the passageways by removing everything from the carbs and spraying carb cleaner through the pilot. If the passageways are clear, carb cleaner should blow out through the main. You may have to soak the carb bodies to clear the passageways and blow them out with compressed air.

Earl

Originally posted by KEITH GRANT
    MY 83 GS750T WILL ONLY RUN WHEN THE CARBS ARE FULLY CHOKED. AS SOON AS TAKE AWAY SOME OF THE CHOKE IT DIES. THE ENGINE RUNS AT ABOUT 3,000 RPM WHEN FULLY CHOKED. WHEN THE BIKE IS RUNNING FULLY CHOKED IF I GIVE IT ANY THROTTLE AT ALL IT DIES AS WELL. I HAD JUST CLEANED THE CARBS BY MY SERVICE MANUALS DIRECTIONS AS WELL. I AM VERY FRUSTRATED ON WHAT THE ISSUE COULD BE. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE HELPFUL. THANKS

ENJOY YOUR RIDE !

kEITH GRANT
    NORTH CAROLINA
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I had a similar problem. It was a dirty fuel filter. Just didn't get enough gas.

With that said...you might want to take Earl's advice first. He's smarter than me.

Wingman

Comment

Don't forget to check your idle adjustment knob. Once, years ago, my 9 year old nephew got to turning the adjuster while I had my carbs off. When I put them back on, they were idleing way too fast and I had to idle them back down. If your adjuster got turned out a little, this could be the problem.

Comment

I didnt realize there was a fuel filter installed. For test purposes, I would remove the fuel filter and install only fuel line.

Earl

Originally posted by W1ngman6
          I had a similar problem. It was a dirty fuel filter. Just didn't get enough gas.

With that said...you might want to take Earl's advice first. He's smarter than me.

Wingman
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I had a similiar problem with my 79 GS750L and was told the ignition coils were going bad. It would start and run so long as it was choked. If I held the throttle open(with or without the choke on) the engine would "bog down" and stall. Eventually the bike would not even start. I replaced the coils and the bike runs great.

Comment

You didn't mention whether the bike had the same or a different problem before you cleaned the carbs.

Good luck,
              Roger

Comment

Working...
              X