Clutch and gear linkage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch and gear linkage

I had the bike torn down a bit and after oiling the clutch wire and having the gear linkage removed, I tried to fit it all back together and go through the gears. No such luck. 1st is fine, neutral as well, but no way I can get into 2nd or any others. Tried the 4mm free play at the lever and adjusting near the case up and down but no difference at all.

1. Did I mount the linkage wrong? If so, is there an absolute position?
    2. What can I do more when it comes to adjusting the clutch cable?

Any ideas will be appreciated.
    JF

Transmission typically won't shift up though the gears with the bike stantionary; gears need to be turning to align the shift dogs. Is the problem occuring while trying to ride the bike or just in the garage?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Did you set the trans into neutral before putting everything back together?

Comment

The bike is stationary, and yes, neutral was selected.

Comment

JF if you rotate the back wheel while shifting the transmission I think it will shift through all the gears OK. As Ed says the gears need to turning so the dogs can line up and slip into place.

Let us know how you get on.

Comment

Don, Nessism and Dave, thanks for your help.
            I had to remove the swing arm, put the chain in place, get that arm back and tighten the wheel, fiddle a little with the clutch adjuster and PRESTO, shift OK all through the gear all the way to 6 and back again. Needs a little more fiddling to get it perfect, but for a test it went fine.

Thanks again mates

GS resources rules.

Comment

Sure beats pulling the transmission apart or dismantling the clutch.

Good luck with the rest of it. I have to pull the swing arm out of my '77 550. Did you have any difficulty getting it out? Any tips for me. Any special tools required? Did you put new bearing in it before replacing it?

Comment

Well Don, I used a rubber mallet to remove it, cleaned the rubber ends and another round metal bar to line it up when inserting the bolt again.
                My bike just had 2800 km on it, ridden by an old man. I doubt it had seen much action, so I donīt think I will change the bearings. I will have to ride it first and the decide. I have to remove it again and paint the darn thing anyway, so I have plenty of time to decide on them bearings.

I have a few words I try to listen to:

If it ainīt broken, donīt fix it.
                Measure twice, cut once.
                KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid
                Donīt try to save money on cheap stuff, that will be expensive.

Good luck with the swing arm Don.
                JF

Comment

Thanks JF. Mine has been in a bit longer than that looking at the condition of the frame. It had a set of 450 instruments on it when I bought it, so I have no idea of the mileage.

Thanks again.

Comment

Don, Iīm contemplating to get a 550 tank on my bike.
                    Fat and low seems like a good idea. The bikes are turning in to mutts.

I fiddled with the clutch adjuster today and all gears seem just to pop in now.
                    My daughter pressed the starter button and the bike wanted to start right away. Good thing that I didnīt have any petrol in the carbs.
                    The bike was in the kitchen......

JF

Comment

Working...
                    X