electrical help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electrical help please!

Thank you everyone for your help so far, your advice has been tremendously helpful. I need to ask where does the wire goes from the starter relay goes to? does it connect to the positive battery terminal or does it go on one of the posts (picture attached). The unit shown in picture is to the right of the battery. Again, i appreciate your advice and guidance.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-07-2009, 08:51 PM. Reason: more clear wording

What model GS is it?

Comment

suzuki model

it is a GS650L 1982

Comment

With just a little bit of luck it will go to the starter switch.

When it is energized ("ON") it causes the relay to activate and close the connection between the heavy-gauge (red) live wire from the battery and the equally heavy gauge wire that leads to the starter.

The relay is essentially a switch, triggered by the application of power/current, that activates the magnet to close the circuit and allow power to flow to the starter.

When the power is "off" the magnet releases, which breaks electrical contact, and the circuit is opened again.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Big wires - one to the starter/ one to the battery. Small wire (yellow) goes to the
          starter button thru the clutch saftey switch & the start/run switch

Comment

Yep, Lynn is right on with that one. One large wire straight from battery to starter solenoid. The other large wire from the other terminal on the solenoid to the starter. The small wire disappears into the harness, reappears at the starter button. Also keep in mind that the solenoid needs to be grounded. It is bolted to a plate near the battery, there is usually a wire from that plate to the chassis or battery negative terminal.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X