welding the block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

welding the block

I have received another 550e with a small problem. The previous owner broke off an oil filter cover stud, and tried to drill it out. The problem is the hole he made through the case. Which is why I "received" the bike. Well through another earlier post I learned that the case is aluminum therefore it can be welded. The shop that I am going to have weld it says it needs to be extremely clean. I can see the hole from the inside with the oil pan off, so how should I go about cleaning the inside around the hole? (and clean with what?)
    Thanks,
    Billy Miles

The bike did run pretty well before this, and the shop gave me the high end estimate of $50 to do the welding. I will, however, still have to have a machine shop reform the oil filter cover mating surface.

Other problems:
    cable clutch adjustment barrell broke off in engine
    sprocket cover screws will have to be drilled out (not by previous owner)

Aluminum with oil in it welds awful. Acetone may do it. Really be nice if the engine was out of the frame. Might as well repair everything while you are at it.

Comment

I would consider using a high end epoxy putty for this job, like Marine Tex. You likely won't need it, but you can reinforce the repair by drilling some holes into the end of the hole and putting a few pins in to hold the epoxy tight while it cures, or just tap the hole all the way through, put the stud back into it and then fill the hole.
      There are some excellent cleaners used in automotive refinishing that are designed for removing was and oil prior to painting...one of these would definitely get the metal clean enough for epoxy.
      Clean well back away from the repair if you choose to try to have it welded.
      S.

Comment

Do you think acetone would evaporate well enough not to leave a residue. Whatever I use will need to evaporate or be able to be rinsed off with something else, so as not to break my oil down once I refill it.

I will get the engine off first, it will just be a pain in the...

I did consider an epoxy. (I drove my first car "a 1974 Superbeetle" for 6 or 7 months before I removed the engine to find several cracks repaired with J.B. Weld. The cracks had nothing to do with me removing the engine, and never caused a problem.) However, if I repair it correctly the first time, I won't have to worry about it failing. Also, my obsessive compulsive nature won't have me anxious over the putty filled hole in my block instead of being anxious over learning to ride.

Thanks,
        Billy Miles

P.S. If you have to drive a vehicle other than a motorcycle, try an aircooled bug.

Comment

Yes..a weld is definitely the best way to go. It seems though that this is more of a hole plug than anything structural, and epoxy tends to be very good in this type of situation.
          I have used JB weld quite a bit...but marine tex seems to be in another class entirely from any other epoxy I've used. I don't know why, but it always seems to work.
          If you are uncomfortable with acetone...try using ether... like quick start fluid...you can spray it around to rinse off the oil, and it definitely leaves no residue.
          S.

Comment

Yes the acetone will dry extremely clean and dry. It is what most engine builders recommend to clean gasket surfaces with.

Comment

it's too far gone to Heli-coil it?

Comment

Yes, definitely too far gone. Actually, two holes, one through the case at an angle, the other somewhat straight. It was a nasty attempt to remove the broken easy-out.

Comment

welding is the way to go .i have repaired many epoxy/jb weld jobs in the shop where i work and usually charge double the usual beacause it is a pain in the rear to get the stuff out of the area to be welded .i know you didnt do it but for future refrence if you take it to someone that has a tig welder they can add quite a bit of heat to the offending bolt/screw while the top is being built up enough to be pulled out and offers little resistance when turned out i usually charg $10 each for extraction and can usually do it in the bike ,the bike shop next to work keeps me pretty busy 8) Mark

Comment

It's also a good idea to disconnect the electrical circuit/ remove the battery before any type of welding is done

Comment

As far as cleaning, if you drain the oil and have the pan off, I would suggest break cleaner. It will break down any oil around the hole, and evaporate immediately. The machine shop my buddy works at uses break cleaner by the case.

As far as fixing the hole, I would definitely get it welded. It sounds like you had a reasonable quote, and the weld will definitely hold better than the epoxy.

Comment

Working...
                      X