is it 4th or the elusive 4.5 gear? lol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it 4th or the elusive 4.5 gear? lol

i have noticed that sometimes when i shift between 4th and 5th gear it seems like it goes in between the gears and i over rev the engine. is this a warning that something is wrong? or is going to be wrong soon? i have an 82 gs850 with 13000 mils aprox and ideas would be apreciated

It happens sometimes, usually not very often. First thing I would try would be to turn the shift lever down a notch or two on the splines. If it's slightly too high, you may not be lifting it as much as it needs. A notch or two lower will cause much more lift with the same amount of effort. Just my opinion
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Hi,

I don't suspect it indicates anything wrong. I haven't hit a false neutral on my bike in quite a while. It took me a while to get used to the little idiosyncrasies of a 30 year old machine. Adjusting the position of the shift lever can give you a more positive up-shift.

Of course, it never hurts to change the secondary gear oil, along with the final drive oil, on a regular basis.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The infamous 4-5 missed shift is pretty common on these. Both my 1100G and my 1100ES did/do it once and a while. Seems mostly when they were/are hot, and you start slamming thru gears coming out of a corner on a long straight. Some have also reported trouble finding neutral when hot. My 1100G did the same thing as well. Ive simply gotten good at feeling a positive shift, and hearing if i missed before slamming the throttle open. Put lots of miles on both of those bikes last year, and neither seemed to suffer from the rare times it happened. My theory, besides the shifter position, is perhaps the gear dogs between those two get worn faster. Its just a loose theory though, i really havent let it bother me enough to think about it a bunch.

Comment

Normally caused be excesive wear on the selector forks where the rider has kept there foot on the gear change.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Working...
          X