79 Gs1000en rebuild is underway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 Gs1000en rebuild is underway

here is a picture of what she looks like now, any suggestions since i have it down this far would be great, thanks in advance
    Last edited by Guest; 02-09-2009, 04:17 PM.

Finish it?

Suzuki mad

Comment

woa never thought of that, i have the motor off to by worked on and i got the forks painted today, swing arm is next

Comment

Most projets start with good intentions and never get finished. My 1000S project is still in it October 08 phase than February 09 phase.

The question you originally posted is a bit vague. What are you trying to do? Full restoration or something else? Advice on re-assembly or what to so with painting mechanicals etc?

As a starter I would change all the bearings and bushes I can on the frame and running gear as a starter. Are you powder coating or spray painting? Decals/transfers for the headstock or leaving them off?

Make up a brace support with a peice of carpet to go under the front of the frame tubes to keep the bike upright. Lay out the wiring loom and refit that is a good starter and reference point also. Get the front end on once the rear swingarm and wheel is refitted to balance the machine out.

How far off are you from fitting the engine or are you just starting on that job? What about the carbs? Ready to go back on or off to the cleaners? What about all your bolts? Changing them to stainless steel or having the originals refinished? If your refinishing them have you got them away as it takes a time and this will delay you.

Have you a workshop plan to keep you on course for finishing this spring and riding in the summer months?

Any help?

Suzuki mad
        Last edited by Guest; 02-09-2009, 05:26 AM. Reason: spell chuker not working today.

Comment

How much money do you have? What do you want to accomplish? A good scrubbing and some touch up paint will go a long way. After that, it all really depends on what you want to do.

Comment

Sorry but you need to be a little more explicit. What is it you want to do, stock rebuild, customize???

As mentioned, if going stock clean and repaint, change all bearings ( wheels and steering), bushes (swingarm)Dissassemble, clean and rebuild forks (new seals). clean and rewire electrical harness (new connectors). Clean , repaint engine. Clean and rebuild carbs. The list is really endless.

If its customizing, then the sky is the limit (well money usuallly is the limit).

Let us know what you have in mind.

cheers,
            spyug.

Comment

the rebulid will be mostly stock, the ideas like the bushings and such were what i was after, something that i might miss being my first frame up restoration, the september 08 cover photo is what i am shooting for but with some of my own touches, i dont want to just copy that beauty, i am going to replace all the engine bolts with stainless cycle kits, the carbs were rejeted to match the pod filters so they have been torn down and cleaned, the forks have new seals and oil and the frame is about to get degreased and repainted. other thing i would like to know is who makes the best braided brake lines for this and what kind of replacement parts should i use
              thanks

Comment

Originally posted by dwfranke1 View Post
                the rebulid will be mostly stock, the ideas like the bushings and such were what i was after, something that i might miss being my first frame up restoration, the september 08 cover photo is what i am shooting for but with some of my own touches, i dont want to just copy that beauty, i am going to replace all the engine bolts with stainless cycle kits, the carbs were rejeted to match the pod filters so they have been torn down and cleaned, the forks have new seals and oil and the frame is about to get degreased and repainted. other thing i would like to know is who makes the best braided brake lines for this and what kind of replacement parts should i use
                thanks
                Have fun with your project. I'm going though a 1000 myself these days so I'll be watching your progress.

For a stock rebuild the stock parts are hard to beat. Flatoutmotorcycles.com has the best prices. For stainless/teflon brake lines, Z1 Enterprises sells Goodrich parts or you can build your own from Earl's parts (that's what I do). The archives are full of all this information so you can go straight to your answer if you learn to use the Advanced Search function. It's amazing how few newbies bother to try to search out the information they need before posting a new thread.

Oh, and if you upload your photos to Photobucket, you can cut and paste the IMG code into your thread here and the photo will show up in high definition glory. Much easier than resizing photos to fit into the GSR's limited bandwidth.

Good luck.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

if i searched for the answers i wouldnt get the witty insight this list is known for, thats half the fun of reading the pages everyday

Comment

Originally posted by dwfranke1 View Post
                    if i searched for the answers i wouldnt get the witty insight this list is known for, thats half the fun of reading the pages everyday

Wrong answer on this one I'm afraid. Repetitive questions are tiresome and you will find that many of the highly knowledgeable GSR regulars won't bother to respond. Seek and ye shall find.
                    Last edited by Nessism; 02-10-2009, 12:56 PM.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

well alright then, please no one else respond to my repeatative thread i will search out my answers elsewhere, and please dont take this as a whinny response, i understand that repatition gets old, when im done i plan to post some pictures in the appearance section, who knows maybe a front page pic if im lucky

Comment

Feel free to keep the thread going. Just post pictures of your progress. Many people start these projects. You'll see that if you stick around. You will also see that most people don't seem ti finish them. So, by all means, keep the thread going. Best of luck.

Comment

You say that your going to de grease the engine and paint it. Which way are you going to do that?

Full strip and professional respray or degrease and rattle can at home?

Please do not be put off by people on here. There's a wealth of knowledge on classic GS motorcycle's which will be handy for your rebuild.

Suzuki mad

Comment

im going to degrease the frame and paint it, im going to try to just clean and shine up the motor, and elbow grease is the only idea i have right now, thanks for the support

Comment

here is the first part of the paint job

Comment

Working...
                              X