GS racing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS racing help

OK...I am really going to need everyones' help here. I am 52 years old and haven't lost the will to compete. I want to get back into motorcycle racing and since my old venue...Motocross... is too physical and too painful an excersize to contimplate, I am going roadracing. I am asking for help and advice but not to the extent that I'm interested in hearing:"What a Bumbass Idea." I really would like serious criticism and advice.
    I can ride my GS on the street about as fast as anyone I ride with but I need to get the bike track worthy ...Appropriate body work mods ... lighter but with oil catcher, solo seat, steering damper, Etc... I have appropriate medical insurance. I plan to race AFM formula 44 and formula super dinosaur, Maybe formula EZ for first race but mI'm afraid of so many clueless racers in one group. If anyone has advice or constructive criticism please post. I am going to try to do this no matter how negative the postings may be so be honest.
    Thanks
    Terry

moto_dan and Husabergchamp can help you with specifics. They compete on a regular basis.

Comment

Sorry ...I forgot to mention the bike..GS1150 ES

Comment

Well done and good luck Terry, I've always wanted to race, but if I crash badly, so do the family's finances. Maybe when I'm 52 I'll get a chance to realise my dream. In the meantime I am encouraged by you making a decision to do something you have obviously wanted to do for a long time, so once again, good luck living your dream and try to keep the shiny side up. :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

I have read a lot about the dino class racing. There are a couple guys who race a cbx in it. One thing I would do is not trash a beautiful street bike. I would biuld a bike especially for your purpose. Go to the track and nose around ....don`t do like I did many years ago when I started drag racing....ask questions. I know the 85 model FZ 750 yamaha is a popular bike for that class...BTW there is one local here that looks mint. Good Luck and I admire you for doing what makes you feel good!!!!

Comment

Go register here and talk to a guy that goes by the handle of ProWeigh01. He is a Kiwi and campaigns a 79 GS 1000 there. He should have lots of stories to tell....

Comment

I think it is great that you are going to "Live your Dream"

Go to the track and talk to the guys and gals in the pits they will have a lot of stories and advice for you and can give you great technical advice as to how to set up your bike.

Watch as many races as you can, you will soon learn what the other riders abilities are and what mistakes they are making.

Make sure you are physically as fit as you can be as racing can be very demanding

Maybe one day I will race again

Comment

Fair play to you, Terry and best of luck with your racing. I'd pay good money to watch a racing series that caters for an 1150 or a CBX!

Please keep us updated on your progress. I'm sure lots of us would be interested in any racing mods you make to the bike and to know how you get along at that first race. I'd been thinking of trying out a track day or two but can't quite convince my better judgement that a 525 lb. GS is the right tool for the job. I just need an excuse to ignore my better judgement (again), hence my interest.

Comment

Go for it! Although I don't race big bikes I still compete on my YSR 50 at the young age of 53. In the Mini GP series we have a blast, but at much lower speeds. Good luck and keep us posted.
                  PS.
                  One observation that I've noticed is that I don't bounce as well as I did 30 yrs. ago

Comment

Working...
                  X