noobie needing carb help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noobie needing carb help

Brand new to GSR,awesome site. I acquired a 1980 gs750e from my best friend in Sept. of 08, it has a 4 into 1 exhaust with baffles removed,K&N pod filters, accel supercoils, & stage 3 jet kit. The jet kit was installed by a local shop app 1 month b4 I got it. I do not know brand of pipe or jet kit because he is on a 1 year "vacation" & I have limited contact. Anyway, I rode bike two weeks b4 he left & it ran good, after he left & I got it home I fixed the clutch & took it on a 200 mile ride,it did not run as well as it did prior to picking it up, I did find out he had messed with the air mixture screws(front top of carbs) as the caps had been removed by the shop, & am assuming he messed them up.I parked it 4 app 4 months until yesterday starting it about once a month, battery has been bad for some time so I replaced it & got it started(has been very hard to start since I got it)it started & idled fine until hitting throttle,then it will not idle all the way back down,it idles app 400-500 rpm higher than b4 I hit throttle,I took it down the road & anything less than full throttle it sounds like it wants to "bog down" but at full throttle it ran like a rabbit on fire.Trying to learn this bike as im now hooked,any suggestions much appreciated.Thanks in advance.

I would start by disassembling and cleaning the carbs. Once you get them back together, bench sync and then vacuum sync them. I'd go through the stator papers and check the stator and R/R to make sure your charging system is working properly.

Comment

Thank you very much,I guess that is what I will try.I figured they would have done that when they installed the jet kit,but I guess assuming gets you nowhere.I will give it a shot.

Comment

If the carbs sit for months with gasoline in them.. the small orifices can become clogged. If you are going to be storing the bike for many months, add some stabil to the gas. It's best not to start the bike once it is in storage. Running the bike for a short time and then shutting it off can cause condensation which can lead to rust. It's best to start it and take it for a long ride. Put your battery on a trickle charger if it is going to sit for months.

Once you get the carbs reinstalled, check to make sure your throttle cable is adjusted and routed properly. A misadjusted cable can cause the rpms to move up and down.

Comment

I see, never even crossed my mind about the storage deal, but it makes sense, I did check the cable routing & even turned the handlebars left & right to see if that changed anything, but all was good. I will have to learn the carbs sooner or later so I might as well get it over with, thnx again

Comment

May I hint at pulling the valve cover and checking specs in that department as well... Hard starts are a good indicator of valves that are too tight.

Comment

Thanks for advice, guess I will go ahead & get me a manual & learn some things I need to. I want to learn it & do it myself so nows my chance

Comment

Should be able to download a manual here

Lots of interesting stuff on his website.

Comment

Found one for a 83 gs750e 16 valve, any idea if anything changed from the 80 16 valve to the 83? thnx 4 the link

Comment

The one directly below the one you downloaded is the one you want 17MB in size. This is the one I use for my 1980 16 valve.

Comment

Thanks again, guess its time to start digging in, always good to learn something new. I will download that one & start filling my head with info.

Comment

Working...
                      X