Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shouldn't the battery charge while the bike is running?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shouldn't the battery charge while the bike is running?

:x

Ok..another problem has arisen. I stopped my bike on the road in order to check my tire pressure. When I tried to start it, the bike wouldn't. You could hear the starter make its customary startup sound..but it was weaker than usual. After a few tries, the starter didn't make a sound...but the ignition switch did (clicking). I waited a few mins, tried starting the bike again...and this time the starter made its startup noise..but even weaker.

I'm thinking the battery was weak. But I'm confused: I was JUST riding my bike...shouldn't the battery have charged while doing so?

Hap and Tim, I'm starting to lose it over here!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rudi

I've had this exact same problem two times. The first time, I removed the headlight fuse, push started the bike, & rode it home. Before turning the engine off, I checked the voltage with a volt meter and it read less than 12 volts, a sure sign of a charging system problem. Turned out to be the stator. The other time, I did the same things. When I checked the voltage this time, I had 12.8 up to 14 volts, depending on the rpm. a sure sign that the charging system is working. A new battery cured this problem

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
      I've had this exact same problem two times. The first time, I removed the headlight fuse, push started the bike, & rode it home. Before turning the engine off, I checked the voltage with a volt meter and it read less than 12 volts, a sure sign of a charging system problem. Turned out to be the stator. The other time, I did the same things. When I checked the voltage this time, I had 12.8 up to 14 volts, depending on the rpm. a sure sign that the charging system is working. A new battery cured this problem
      Well, I have a new battery...so that can't be it. Maybe it IS the stator...although, that was replaced only a few years ago. Could it be anything else?

Rudi

Comment

Check your reg/rect. and also make sure you go through " The Stator Papers" on the site to point in the direction you need to go.
        Good luck
        Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
        2000 Kawasaki Concours
        Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Yeah!, could be something as simple as a slightly corroded wire connection. You'll not know for sure till you find it. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
            Yeah!, could be something as simple as a slightly corroded wire connection.
            Cutting and soldering my connections solved my problem.

Comment

Check the bottom 2 fuses in the fuse box it could be as simple as that, failing that the Stator Papers advice is best I had to do that on mine and it pin pointed the problem but I blew on of the fuses after I had checked them and spent about 4hrs back tracking the problem.

Keith S

Comment

i have a switch in the headlight so i can turn it off when i start the bike and when i am in traffic. 2 weeks back when my battery could hardly start the bike because the stator cooked. the switch enabeled me to start the bike and run
                with the light off till i reached my destination.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Scrimgeour
                  Check the bottom 2 fuses in the fuse box it could be as simple as that, failing that the Stator Papers advice is best I had to do that on mine and it pin pointed the problem but I blew on of the fuses after I had checked them and spent about 4hrs back tracking the problem.

Keith S
                  Are you saying that if my fuses don't blow, the problem is most likely with my stator?

Rudi

Comment

Originally posted by Rudi
                    Originally posted by Keith Scrimgeour

Keith S
                    Are you saying that if my fuses don't blow, the problem is most likely with my stator?

Rudi
                    That is what I am guessing

Comment

Don't jump to conclusions. As suggested, do the simple diagnostics as outlined in the Stator Papers (and my Clymer manual) to determine the source of your problem. As I stated earlier, my no-charge problem was solved when I renewed all the appropriate connections. The job took about an hour and one-half including the diagnosis. The only tools necessary were wire strippers and cutters, a $15 multimeter, and a soldering gun. I soldered in $2 worth of butt-end connectors, too.

This renewing of the key charging system connections should be undertaken by everyone BEFORE a problem becomes apparent. This because I understand that the added resistance caused by the less than perfect connections can cause the regulator/rectifier and/or stator to fail prematurely. That said, I was halfway thru' my first season with my new old bike before the new battery began to die during my rides. The battery, r/r, and stator all survived.

Comment

Keep your chin up Rudi, that bikeis almost on the road
                        I would start off by checking all the connections around the battery. Do you have any corrosion? I once had a battery completely lose contact because of corrosion before (this was in a car BTW)...... Take your battery leads off clean them with baking soda and water, smear a little grease on them and tighten back up. Then look at all the little plastic connctors all over the bike, clean and reassemble, then try reading your voltage again...... The stator pages have some very good tests to determine if the charging system is OK or not. I think your stator is fine if it's not that old. However your reg/rec might be cooked.

Another thing to do is to run some extra ground wires to key places like, the engine, the reg/rec, and the fuse box.....

The one thing you don't want to do is run the bike without a battery attached. This will surely fry your reg/rec. Even a dead battery is better than no battery, the reg/rec just can't dissapate that much energy......

Good Luck

Comment

thanks for the info...I'll check the stator pages for help...

Rudi
                          1980 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by HiSPL
                            Keep your chin up Rudi, that bikeis almost on the road
                            I would start off by checking all the connections around the battery. Do you have any corrosion? I once had a battery completely lose contact because of corrosion before (this was in a car BTW)...... Take your battery leads off clean them with baking soda and water, smear a little grease on them and tighten back up. Then look at all the little plastic connctors all over the bike, clean and reassemble, then try reading your voltage again...... The stator pages have some very good tests to determine if the charging system is OK or not. I think your stator is fine if it's not that old. However your reg/rec might be cooked.

Another thing to do is to run some extra ground wires to key places like, the engine, the reg/rec, and the fuse box.....

The one thing you don't want to do is run the bike without a battery attached. This will surely fry your reg/rec. Even a dead battery is better than no battery, the reg/rec just can't dissapate that much energy......

Good Luck
                            Tim, thanks for sending the Air Needle. BTW, I don't suppose you have an extra "Air Jet" (I think it's called) laying around? :-)

Comment

I should have one somewhere....When I get home tonight I'll look for it 'K.

Your almost there, don't give up now...... And say Hi to Ali and Shea......

Comment

Working...
                              X