mileometer stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mileometer stuck

On my GS650 speedo, The tripmeter and speedo itself work fine. Any ideas? Is it worth taking apart (if thats possible). Maybe an insect has crawled into the workings or something? Cheers.

The speedo is very hard to take apart as its a one peice unit.

There was a peice in classic motorcycle and mechanics about opening one up and repairing it.

Comment

It is possible to take apart, but I would think some of the gears are stripped inside it. Best bet would be to search around for a replacement speedo.

Comment

The mileometer on these runs a plastic gear against a metal worm drive. Chances are that the plastic has stripped or worn against the metal.

Either that or someone has clocked the bike and not put it back together properly and it's just a jam - the units, 10s, 100s etc all have to click in to place when you adjust the mileometer reading.

I'd take it apart and have a look before hunting down another one. If your instruments are like this set: http://www.alpha-sports.com/spst/1981%20GS650E/48.htm

I would cut the inner case (part no. 1) with either a dremel or a hacksaw (go careful) and glue back together (mark some lines so that you line it up properly on reassembly). The other method, to pry open the metal ring needs to be done real carefully. If you b*gger it up you'll see it every time you ride it. You can be pretty untidy cutting the case as it's covered by the outer case (part number 4).

If you need a replacement a later GS550 fits (I think). I can measure for you if needs be.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

re your stuck speedo...if you havent fixed it yet.... I have had two speedos and one tach stop working. They start out with needle drag and eventually stop working. Išve taken them all apart and found that the lubricating oil has turned to syrup. The fix is to get some non residue solvent like laquer thinner and a small brush and clean the old thick oil off everything.
          These guages can be opened up by carefully prying off the metal bezel around the glass. Just go slowly and lift a screwdriver width at a time. Replace the bezel by crimping it back all around the glass.
          Hope this helps.

Comment

Also there was a genius how-to done by someone? on this site who advised using a drill press with a dremel size cutting wheel in it to carefully and neatly saw the case apart. It made a very neat job, and didn't damage the bezel.
            S.

Comment

I've had mine open many times. I pry it apart and press it back together. The outer shell covers up the pry marks.
              I put a larger 140 speedo in a smaller 80 pos 85 speedo case. Looks and works great. The auto-off turn signals work too.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
              X