650 motor swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

650 motor swap?

Just doing some winter work on my 82 gs650gl and I saw a gs1100 motor on Craigslist that was from a G (shaft drive) just wondering if it would fit in the frame or what i would need to fabricate to get it to work? Anyone know what the possibilities are??
    thanks

Hi - I won't say it's not possible to fit it in (anything's possible) but it would need some pretty serious fabrication - the 2 motors are very different.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Any shaft drive swap is going to be a lot more difficult than a chain drive. Depends how much the other motor will cost you.

Comment

logic is?

the motor is only $100 and thats why im thinking of it. if its just too big and i need to chop all the drive shaft components thats too mutch. but really you would think that the shaft needs to end in the same place at the whele so why wouldnt it start in about the place. Also my maiune concern is frame size. is the oil pan on 1100 a lot wider?

Comment

That motor's not located near Georgia, is it?

Comment

no its in minneapolis Mn.

Comment

I'm not the expert here but My understanding is the 650Gl is unique among the GS Shafties. The 850 and 1000 motors exchange easily but the 650 is different and as stated earlier, the amount of fabrication required will likely make your swap unfeasable.
              sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
              2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I just looked up the two swing arm parts for both motors and they have different part numbers. So I am guessing they are different for a reason. Probably longer I would say on the 1100. The only way as I see it would be to get hold of someone with an 1100 and take some measurements. The 650 swing arm was only used on 6 models in total and they were all the 650s from '81 to '83.

Comment

Are you handy at fabbing things up? Can you weld if needed? Things have tight tolerances when it comes to the swing arm and final drive on the shafties and unless you're willing to work within the numbers +- .003 you'll find it overwhelming. You could always find a shaft bike as Don has mentioned and take some measurements. You may get away with a swing arm and final drive swap, some new motor mounts and relocated shocks. You never know!

OK...I'll shut up now.

Comment

The bigger motor is undoubtably wider. Since your shaft is in a fixed position, the motor would hang to the right (as you sit on the bike)

Simpler just to find a big G if that's what you want.
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Not pratical, you would have to rebuild the frame to make it fit.
                      LOTS of work. You would be better off selling the 650G and getting an GS850g,GS1000g,GS1100g and saving the 1100 motor for a later transplant

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!

Hi Mr. mpls-ugly,

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community.

I have very few fab skills, except where it comes to building a computer. If you do take on a project such as you are considering, please be sure to post up lots of pictures. I wish you luck.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks fellas!

Well its not what i wanted to hear but its what i expected. Thanks for all the responses and input. I think i will keep the 650 as the great around town bike she is and shop for something bigger next time. I really want a 79 kz1000 LTD for a big bike anyway. I am doing some cosmetic stuff with the bike over the next few months and ill try to get some project pix up. I just striped and bondoed the tank and primed the wheels today so hopefully i will get my paint this week to finish that up.

Thanks again to the awesome community.

Comment

It's like parking a Cadillac in a broom closet. Won't fit.

The 650G and 850/1000/1100G engines are very different in size. You can interchange the 850+ shafties, but the 650G is sui generis.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by mpls-ugly View Post
                              Well its not what i wanted to hear but its what i expected. Thanks for all the responses and input. I think i will keep the 650 as the great around town bike she is and shop for something bigger next time. I really want a 79 kz1000 LTD for a big bike anyway. I am doing some cosmetic stuff with the bike over the next few months and ill try to get some project pix up. I just striped and bondoed the tank and primed the wheels today so hopefully i will get my paint this week to finish that up.

Thanks again to the awesome community.
                              I have a GS650G and a GS1100G in my garage right now. Just a casual glance tells me they are wayyy different. But since they are both there I can check measurements or take pictures if you need something. Gut feeling is that the 650 frame is much smaller than the 1100, and the big motor just won't fit. PM me if you want some pictures or measurements.

Comment

Working...
                              X