Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I really have to change the fork oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I really have to change the fork oil?

I've had the bike about 16 months now and have learned quite a lot. There are still lots of jobs I won't attempt but I regularly do the basic jobs I'm meant to do like changing the oil and oil filter, chain tensioning, etc. I'd be too embarrassed, for instance, to admit that I'd never changed the oil filter. However, there's one 'basic' job I've never got round to and that is changing the fork oil. The main reason for this is that I'm not aware that there's anything wrong with the forks at the moment and I don't know what the benefits of regularly changing the fork oil are meant to be. What difference might I expect if I went ahead and changed the oil?

All advice gratefully received.

Thanks
    Roger

Fork oil like any oil will break down over time. I replace mine every two years along with the brake fluid. It might be over kill but hey, Canadian winters are long

Gerry

Comment

You would be surprised how nasty fork oil can get.

Comment

Change the oil and put new seals in. It will be worth your time and effort.

Nick

Comment

Have the forks ever been maintained?

If you don't know if they have ever been maintained you might as well rebuild them. The sludge in them will not drain out. Tear em down and flush the parts out. While you'r at it the seals might as well get replaced.

Comment

Fork seals

I think changing fork oil ever couple of years is a good idea but I also think that changing fork seals that are functional and not leaking is asking for trouble. :roll:
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I treat fork oil as a once a year item to change regardless. I have not had to replace the fork seals for many years (lets say 80s...)

Comment

Working...
              X