GS1150 oil pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1150 oil pressure

Can anybody tell me what oil pressure I should be getting from an 1100efe engine with standard gears?, I am getting a strange noise at tickover which gets worse as you rev the engine, then the dash lights start to come on (low oil pressure?). I am wondering whether the oil pump is broken or pumping enough.

oil pressure

The specs for the 16 valve 700/750 is 35psi min and 78psi max. The specs for your bike should be close as it's a plain bearing engine too.

Added later: OOPS my mistake, they are low pressure oil systems.

Comment

Thanks, I'll need to get an adaptor to fit my pressure gauge.

Comment

Re: oil pressure

Its my understanding that all 1100 engines have ball bearing cranks.

Earl

Originally posted by Gary
        The specs for the 16 valve 700/750 is 35psi min and 78psi max. The specs for your bike should be close as it's a plain bearing engine too.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

The stock GS1150 has ball bearing crank.

Oil preassure Lower limit 20 kPa (0.20 kg/cm2, 2.9 psi) - Higher limit 40 kPa (0.4 kg/cm2, 5.8 psi),

Engine should be warm and at 3000 rpm, then meassuring.

Comment

For the early 1100s ('80 and '81) and the '81 Katana 1000 it was between 1.42 PSI at 3000 RPM and 7.11 PSI at 3000 RPM and oil temp at 140F.

Hap

Comment

Yes, it is definately a roller bearing crank. Has anybody experienced an oil pump failing? I'am wondering what sort of symptoms it would show, before the engine seized up!

Comment

I had to change the O-ring, after the change the oil-pressure is OK even at low revs.

Comment

The oil pump and o-ring seem to be in very good condition. Having stripped the clutch down and measured everything, the only thing I can think is causing the noise and the dash light coming on, is if the clutch has not properly located on the oil pump drive gear. This is probably a very long shot, it will all be reassembled tonight, I'll see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                  X