I feel stupid asking this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel stupid asking this

How do I hook up my coils? The left coil goes to which cylinders and vice versa? Please tell me what cylinder the left wire on each coil goes to and the right just so I don't get confused

Originally posted by cyberdork View Post
    How do I hook up my coils? The left coil goes to which cylinders and vice versa? Please tell me what cylinder the left wire on each coil goes to and the right just so I don't get confused
    Man, you are stupid ! Just kidding. No stupid questions here. Leave that for off topic.

Left coil - cyl 1 & 4
    Rt coil - cyl 2 & 3
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

No stupid questions here. Leave that for off topic.
      Theres no stupid questions in the OT, just stupid statements!

Comment

Keeping it then?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Was trying a last resort which failed

Comment

Originally posted by cyberdork View Post
            There are no stupid questions, but there do seem to be a lot of smarta$$ answers.

The left coil is usually connected to cylinders 1&4, leaving the right coil for 2&3. This assumes that the correct wire from the signal generators on the end of the crank is connected to the proper coil. I can't tell you for sure which trigger goes to which coil.

In this case, cylinder numbering does not mean much, because 1&4 are the outer cylinders, while 2&3 are the inner ones, but for future reference, cylinder #1 is on the left side of the bike, that is, under your clutch hand. Cylinder #4 is on the right side, under your throttle hand.

As for which wire on the coil goes to which cylinder ... it does not really matter. Sometimes one wire is a bit shorter than the other, so just make sure both of them reach where they need to go. Both plugs connected to a coil will fire every revolution of the crank. One will be at the top of the compression stoke and will fire the mixture, the other will be at the top of the exhaust stroke and will basically be a 'wasted' spark. Does not hurt anything, but eliminates the complexity of adding a distributor to direct the sparks.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              There are no stupid questions
              Kind of off topic and Steve has already answered better than I can. I used to always tell my step son when he would go "can I ask you a stupid question?", I would tell him there is no such thing as a stupid question, and to ask away.

Then he turned 15...I was proven wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by RobC View Post
                Steve has already answered better than I can.
                Additional characters to make the minimum.
                sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                X