Is This the Right Carb Rebuild Kit???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is This the Right Carb Rebuild Kit???

I just wanted to run this by you guys really quickly before I order it.

It says it's for a 1980-1981 GS1000. I have the shaft drive "G" model. I don't THINK that it makes any difference on the carbs, but I wanted to check just to make sure.

Is this one the right stuff??

I'm asking because I noticed a gas leak from one of the carbs tonight. Nothing major, but definitely leaking some gas. I've encountered this issue on ALL of the bikes that I've owned, and was able to take care of it with a simple carb rebuild.

I figure that this bike probably hasn't had it's carbs rebuilt...ummm...ever. So even if running some carb cleaner through the tank would clear it up, I don't have any problem rebuilding the carbs just to have the reassurance of the fact that they have been rebuilt.

Thanks!!!
    Jeff

First off welcome. DON"T buy the carb kits. Usually you can get by with just a very good cleaning and the replacement of ALL the Orings from
    www.cycleorings.com Just be careful removing the float bowls & you can reuse the gaskets. Less than the cost of one kit.
    If you have to have a kit it will work, if you can't find one for a "G". they are jetted differently.. You may have to reuse (I would advise it)your old jets with that kit

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
      First off welcome. DON"T buy the carb kits. Usually you can get by with just a very good cleaning and the replacement of ALL the Orings from
      www.cycleorings.com Just be careful removing the float bowls & you can reuse the gaskets. Less than the cost of one kit.
      If you have to have a kit it will work, if you can't find one for a "G". they are jetted differently.. You may have to reuse (I would advise it)your old jets with that kit

That same seller appears to sell a kit that comes with just the gaskets, and it's quite a bit cheaper.

I guess I will try just tearing it apart and seeing where it goes from there!!!

Are the float needles on this bike made out of metal?? On my Ninja they are made out of metal...but with soft rubber tips. That rubber tip went bad on my Ninja and was causing it to leak gas everywhere all the time.

***EDIT***

By the way, it's nice to see a fellow SBN member!!!
      Last edited by Guest; 02-14-2009, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Yes, the needles are made of metal -- no rubber tips.

Carb kits are ill-fitting imitation crap. A set of o-rings are all you need:

You may need float bowl gaskets. Usually you don't, but you can get them for $3 or $4 each from Suzuki or http://z1enterprises.com or http://crc2onlinecatalog.com .

Detailed instructions:

You may also need a new OEM petcock. Carbs rarely, if ever, actually leak -- they overflow because something is propping open one or more of the float needles. Since the petcock has a very effective filter, this is often some internal corrosion particles from inside an old petcock. Very fine rust particles from the tank can sometimes make it into the carbs as well, but this is obvious when you pull the float bowls.

A bad vacuum diaphragm in the petcock can send gas down the vacuum tube into the #2 cylinder. A damaged float is another possibility, although this is pretty rare.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          Yes, the needles are made of metal -- no rubber tips.

Carb kits are ill-fitting imitation crap. A set of o-rings are all you need:

You may need float bowl gaskets. Usually you don't, but you can get them for $3 or $4 each from Suzuki or http://z1enterprises.com or http://crc2onlinecatalog.com .

Detailed instructions:

You may also need a new OEM petcock. Carbs rarely, if ever, actually leak -- they overflow because something is propping open one or more of the float needles. Since the petcock has a very effective filter, this is often some internal corrosion particles from inside an old petcock. Very fine rust particles from the tank can sometimes make it into the carbs as well, but this is obvious when you pull the float bowls.

A bad vacuum diaphragm in the petcock can send gas down the vacuum tube into the #2 cylinder. A damaged float is another possibility, although this is pretty rare.

Cool.

I figured it's probably something that's got the float valve stuck open, and I had read that the petcock needs to be replaced (on many old GS bikes) so I'm looking for one of those as well.

I'm glad that the needle is made of metal. That stupid rubber tip on my Ninja drove me nuts. It was deformed just a tad. Not enough to even notice when looking at it by itself. So that carb kept leaking gas.

It wasn't until I finally tore the whole thing apart and BOTH carbs at the same time that I noticed it was out of shape. I had been doing one carb at a time to avoid losing or misplacing parts...so I had never looked at both of them at the same time!!

Comment

Working...
          X