Any tips on doing a valve adjustment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any tips on doing a valve adjustment.

My manual is pretty good, and tells me how to do it. It says that I will have to replace the shims if any adjustments need to be made. Do I need to get a shim kit from someplace? The dealer perhaps. I will have to get the gasket I know and while I'm at it I'm going to fix the seal for the tach cable.

I got my shims from the Suzuki dealer but Dennis Kirk or others may have them also. Remember the motor must be cold. It may be overkill,but I actually wait 2 full days before I adjust valves.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

remember to have a note pad handy to take down what size shim is in what position and what size shim you will need for each position, you can often swap shims around to get some valves into spec, and some bike shops will swap you shims for free, you give them your wrong size shims in exchange for the right size shims.

Comment

As you check your valves make a chart for your bike. Take each shim out and measure it. Then when you go back in later you already know what is in it. If you`ve not done this before be careful and don`t turn your engine the wrong way and bend your valves.

Comment

I have colelcted a stack of shims over the years, but the one you need is always one you don't have..one of those laws I think!

I also keep a list of which size shim is where. I also measure up old shims with a micrometer as they do vary in wear, but I have not yet found one that changes size down one.

Take your time, do it right. My experince is once they are bedded in adjustment is rare...shims are great I reckon!

Comment

DinnisKirk is the cheepest place to get them if you have to buy them. There is a mechanics set of shims, not available new and hard to find used. I have tried to buy a set on ebay several time with no luck always get out bid

Comment

shims

I'd hang onto any shims you change out, rather than exchange them. Next time you adjust the clearances, guess what size shim you'll need? I bought some spare shims out of a blown engine in breaker's yard years ago. I remember there were other broken GS engines there too - I'm sorry now I didn't make an offer on the lot!

Comment

Working...
              X