Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't need key to start/Electrical problems 850 GS

Cycle: 1980 GS 850 L

Someone worked on my carbs recently. After he put it back together, the fuses kept blowing. Therefore,the lights and instrument panel did not work.

I taped all the electrical wires hoping to find the short which was causing the fuses to blow.

I put new fuses in, and the headlight immediately came on without the key.

Now, everything works, but the light and instrument panel stay on all the time. Plus, it does not require the key to turn on the ignition.

What could be causing this?

I took off all the tape to see if that could have been the problem.

Thanks.

Lance

I don't think that working on the carbs would have anything to do with blowing fuses, but it might have uncovered another problem in your harness.
    Simply sliding the carbs in or out usually does not bump much in the wiring harness, so this one might be kinda difficult to track down.

Which fuse(es) keep(s) blowing? Just one, or all of them?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Fuses

It was blowing the top one (headlight) and the second one (instrument panel I believe).

However, it is not blowing anything now. They are okay.

It is just that the lights won't go out now, with or without the key, and you can start the cycle now without a key.

Thanks.

Comment

did the shop have a key ? maybe they jumpered the ign to start it ?

Comment

The carbs were cleaned six months ago. I have been riding it since.

Right after he cleaned them, the fuses blew. I have been driving it since. It only became important to me when I realized that the headlight was not working.

In order to restore them, I taped the wires today. When I put in new fuses, these problems started.
          Last edited by Guest; 02-14-2009, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Problem solved thanks.

Fuses were in wrong.

Comment

Not sure how you can put the fuses in wrong, but thought I would let you know that the second fuse is for signals, not instrument lighting.

Top fuse is for lights, including head light, tail light and instruments.
              Second fuse is for signals, including turn signals, brake and horn.
              Third fuse is for ignition, including the signal generators, ignitor and coils.
              Fourth fuse is the MAIN fuse.
              Fifth fuse powers the AUX terminal at the bottom of the fuse panel.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Fuses in wrong position

I accidently put the third fuse from the top in a place so that it was between the third and fourth holders.

In doing that, it made it possible to start the cycle without a key. It also made the headlight to stay on all the time.

I don't know how this happened, but it did. When I removed the third fuse and put it in the correct spot, it eliminated the problem.

Comment

I accidently put the third fuse from the top in a place so that it was between the third and fourth holders. In doing that, it made it possible to start the cycle without a key
                  I'll have to keep that in mind next time I loose my key and need to start the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by konicaman View Post
                    I accidently put the third fuse from the top in a place so that it was between the third and fourth holders.

In doing that, it made it possible to start the cycle without a key. It also made the headlight to stay on all the time.

I don't know how this happened, but it did. When I removed the third fuse and put it in the correct spot, it eliminated the problem.
                    I'll have to trace the wiring diagram to see why the headlight would stay on, but, like almarconi said, it's nice to know how to hotwire a GS.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                    X