Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 gs550 wiring question

Hello,
    I took out my carbs and cleaned them and upon putting my bike back together I have an extra wire!

where does the red wire with green stripe coming off the rectifier on the air box go? I swear it was hooked up.
    the electrical system is stock with no upgrades or cuts.
    thanks in advance
    Jeff

Jeff, I have checked the wiring diagram and a wire of that colour code does not appear on the diagram. The only red wire with a tracer is the Red with Black tracer and that is a gear position switch wire. There is a Green wire with red tracer but that wire does not go any where. It is O/C at both ends.

I can have a look at my 550 when I get home from work (another 8 hours) if you need me to.

Comment

Here is a pic, Is this the regulator? It is mounted on the back side of the airbox. It has 2 wires one black ground and the other is the red / green wire in the pic. The pic is from the battery side of the bike.

I went to bike bandit.com, looked at the electrical and it is not the rectifier, and its not the starter relay so it has to be the regulator right?

If you can check your bike that would be great!

Comment

i believe I have found it it, it looks to be a aftermarket regulator, there is a open double spade connector that the wire is yellow and also goes to the rectifier. This must be it thanks

Comment

Originally posted by opivyrocks View Post
          Hello,
          I took out my carbs and cleaned them and upon putting my bike back together I have an extra wire!

where does the red wire with green stripe coming off the rectifier on the air box go? I swear it was hooked up.
          the electrical system is stock with no upgrades or cuts.
          thanks in advance
          Jeff
          You threw us off the track Jeff when you said "electrical system is stock, no upgrades or cuts". Glad you found the connection OK.

Most of us with separate regulator and rectifier have upgraded to the Honda unit that does both functions. The Suzuki items are apt to fail sooner or later with dire consequences. You can lose the battery, the rectifier, regulator and alternator all at once and it gets a tad expensive.

Check out this link.

Comment

Sorry for the confusion. I tried to be as accurate as possible with my problems, I didnt realize at the time the regulator had been changed. I did a quick read on the conversion, It sounds like I should definately put that ion the "to do" list. Thanks for the help.
            Jeff

Comment

Working...
            X