a few leaks in the tranny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a few leaks in the tranny

To me this looks like no big deal just something to replace I just don't know the names of the parts if and I need to drain the tranny to fix it without gear oil all over my drive way. Well I should say any MORE leaking on it.

the this pic the circled part is the peep hole I guess. The seal tore the last time I changed the gear oil. It never got bad and is still not bad but I'm fix everything else. Is there like some gasket or seal to put around that screw or is that a bike bandit thing?

The other leak is the four bolts right in the center of the picture. It apears to be leaking some around that as while. I've looked on exploded veiws but It's hard to say if this is the part being pointed out or a couple others. So I haven't orderd anything yet.

I had to pictures so I had to do two posts.

This appears to be the biggest leak. I think you see a drop of oil coming from it in the pic. All I know from the wiring diagram this is the wires that lights up what gear. A side note I don't have the factory digital display anymore so these wires are no longer being used. Don't know if that changes how anyone would fix this.

Oh yeah this is on an 82 gs850gl
    Last edited by Guest; 02-15-2009, 05:51 PM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

Originally posted by biker_guy View Post
      I had to pictures so I had to do two posts.

This appears to be the biggest leak. I think you see a drop of oil coming from it in the pic. All I know from the wiring diagram this is the wires that lights up what gear. A side note I don't have the factory digital display anymore so these wires are no longer being used. Don't know if that changes how anyone would fix this.

Oh yeah this is on an 82 gs850gl
      This is the gear position indicator switch. You still ought to keep it because the neutral switch is also in here. Unless you're not using that...

Anyway, it's sealed with an o-ring. If you can find a place that stocks metric o-rings, you can get an exact replacement, or if not, a #120 or #121 o-ring should work (not sure which exactly.)
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by biker_guy View Post
        To me this looks like no big deal just something to replace I just don't know the names of the parts if and I need to drain the tranny to fix it without gear oil all over my drive way. Well I should say any MORE leaking on it.

the this pic the circled part is the peep hole I guess. The seal tore the last time I changed the gear oil. It never got bad and is still not bad but I'm fix everything else. Is there like some gasket or seal to put around that screw or is that a bike bandit thing?

The other leak is the four bolts right in the center of the picture. It apears to be leaking some around that as while. I've looked on exploded veiws but It's hard to say if this is the part being pointed out or a couple others. So I haven't orderd anything yet.

For the level plug, you're supposed to have a sealing washer on that. You can order the Suzuki part, or just use a nylon 1/4" washer from the hardware store.

The bevel gear oil is sealed by a large o-ring around the assembly retained by the four bolts. You'll need to order that o-ring from Suzuki.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

am I ok to just dig in and replace these or would oil start pouring out if I don't drain it first?
          Last edited by Guest; 02-16-2009, 12:35 AM.

Comment

You might want to either drain the oil or lean the bike to the right side to minimize oil loss.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X