No announcement yet.

Which engine do I have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm installing new seals for the fuel petcock (mine was leaking) and was wondering what to lubricate them with before installing?

Just plain old gasoline?

Comment

I dunked them in gas and installed them and it doesn't leak anymore, awesome.

Another question, does the GS400/GS425/GSX400 have a low oil pressure light?

I can't find anything about one.

Comment

gsx400

Hello, have you checked www.michaelsGS-classic.com use translater and book mark translated page,to keep eng or french. click on models. and you have almost every GS made articles to eng frame w/b etc i will go threw my mags CYCLE,C/W, etc if i find specs ill let you know.Let us know how she goes. keep an I on petcock, useally 50.00 new one is a good invest, petrol can still leak into eng, w/out being noticed. enjoy SAN.

Comment

How does gas leak into the engine?

I noticed that the petcock doesn't automatically shut 'off' when there's no vacuum. It'll still leak with the selector in any position. Could that be a problem? I don't want to spend $50 on a new petcock..

Does the problem happen by sucking fuel through the vacuum line? If so, I could just plug that off.

Comment

Seems I read on here somewhere that if the vacuum operated petcock is malfunctioning it will let fuel flow through the vacuum hose & you can end up with fuel in the crankcase which is not good! I could be way off because I am still learning so maybe someone else will elaborate soon & correct me if I am wrong. Seems like I read also that if you plug the vacuum line & run the petcock on prime it may be a temp fix, but like I said I am not 100% positive. Don't hold me to that I just wanted to let you know we are still out here. Good luck man!

Comment

Originally posted by imnowhooked View Post
              Seems I read on here somewhere that if the vacuum operated petcock is malfunctioning it will let fuel flow through the vacuum hose & you can end up with fuel in the crankcase which is not good! I could be way off because I am still learning so maybe someone else will elaborate soon & correct me if I am wrong. Seems like I read also that if you plug the vacuum line & run the petcock on prime it may be a temp fix, but like I said I am not 100% positive. Don't hold me to that I just wanted to let you know we are still out here. Good luck man!
              Thanks for the input. I made another thread about this specific issue here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=137559

Seems like there's 2 points to the issue. A) it sucks in excess gas through the vacuum hose. B) the pressure from the gas tank overcomes the float bowl and the excess gas leaks into the engine. On carbs that were not ruled by EPA restrictions, they appeared to have a drain-hose that would spill out excess fuel in the carb thus preventing oil contamination. However, on 1980? and up motorcycles in the USA, this drainage hose was banned and the excess fuel would end up in the crank case.
              Last edited by Guest; 02-21-2009, 02:00 AM. Reason: Spelling mistakes

Comment

Man I guess I am lost in my own world, sorry bout that, maybe its time for me to go to bed!

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy View Post
                  thats one of the interesting oddities about Suzuki, they kept the motor mount positions the same on the 400, 425, 450, and 500 twins (the tempter twin likely is a drop in) you can go and get a brand new GS500 engine and it will bolt right up in a 1976 GS400 frame.
                  the only complication being Suzuki rotated the exhaust ports inward to clear the perimiter type frame used on the 500 twin so exhaust clearance in the early GS frame is a problem.
                  you need a custom exhaust.
                  the tempter 650?

oh pleeeeaaase say yes!

Comment

good to know a 500 will fit. Are these 8v motors?

Comment

Working...
                    X