Carb Removal Tips 1980 GS 550E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Removal Tips 1980 GS 550E

BLUF: Creamed the rusty tank and now need to clean out the pilot jets.

Searched through the forums and can't find any tips for removing the 4 bank of carbs. There's like ZERO room to get in there...

Any tips to make my life easier before I dive in?

Thanks in Advance,
    Frank

The carb fit is very tight on the 550. Only things you can do are unbolt the airbox and slide it rearward as much as possible – only about 1”, remove the band clamps, and spray the rubber boots with silicone (WD-40 or similar). After these things it’s all about brut force.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I had to take my stock airbox off my 550t. In the process my wife felt the need to clean up my shop while I was at work and threw the airbox and a bunch of carb parts out. I ended up going with pod filters and a dynojet stage three kit. Ha teaches her not to mess with my stuff. It was relatively easy to install the dyno jet kit and the pods and my bike has much more throttle response and overall runs way smoother. The cost of this wasnt bad eaither $30 on ebay for the pods and about 140 for the jet kit.

Comment

my wife felt the need to clean up my shop while I was at work and threw the airbox and a bunch of carb parts out
        That is clear grounds for a divorce!

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
          That is clear grounds for a divorce!
          Lol naw she was just trying to be nice because I am always complaining that its a mess and never doing anything about it. She lost her job recently and has absolutely nothing to do while I am at work.

Comment

I remember seeing an older post where someone unbolted most of the engine mount points and then rotated it forward to get room for the carbs. Not sure if this would work on the 550, but it seems like that could buy you another inch or two. Has anyone tried this?

Comment

Have not tried it on a 550 with CV carbs, but a friend has a '79 550 with the VM carbs, and I took his carbs off in about 10 minutes while he was on the phone, telling me that he would be there in a minute to help. By the time he got off the phone, I was gone with his carbs.

Putting VM carbs back on takes about 20 minutes, no idea about the CV carbs.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by elwaxoro View Post
                I remember seeing an older post where someone unbolted most of the engine mount points and then rotated it forward to get room for the carbs. Not sure if this would work on the 550, but it seems like that could buy you another inch or two. Has anyone tried this?
                i just put my 78 back together, i took the motor off. but when i put it back together they didnt go so easy.. no roomi have to take them off again to get to my tensioner, and im concidering pulling the mount bolts to tilt it a bit. it was much easier when i did it before to take motor off.just alot of extra work take off exhaust and chain ect. might as well just take motor back off agian and clean it and what ever else you need to do. get some polish and do it up good

Comment

Originally posted by elwaxoro View Post
                  ok WOW its not that hard to get them out. just undo the cables and like nissem said move the air box back and wiggle the crap out of the carbs. if it is cold where you are use a heat gun on the boots for about 15 sec each boot and wiggle them. there is plenty of room you just need to work on it and get your hands dirty. you will figure it out. it's really easy. just detatch everything connected to the carbs and wiggle them free.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Have not tried it on a 550 with CV carbs, but a friend has a '79 550 with the VM carbs, and I took his carbs off in about 10 minutes while he was on the phone, telling me that he would be there in a minute to help. By the time he got off the phone, I was gone with his carbs.

Putting VM carbs back on takes about 20 minutes, no idea about the CV carbs.

I can do it 10min no prob on my 81 550 with CV IT IS NOT HARD you have plenty of room you will bend the boots on the air box a little but thats fine casue its rubber so it's nothing.

Comment

10 minutes, well not on mine, i tried lubing everything up and the carbs fit tightly into both sides, i think the head was supposed to ocme off .i would have to look in the instructions, but i about tore my airbox boots up putting them back in and there still not all the way. i did lose one of the metal rings inside also, bent 2 others. if there is another option for a differant kind of airbox i would like to knowmaybe i could fabricate one. and get rid of the big plastic peice just befor the box itself

Comment

Originally posted by boba View Post
                        10 minutes, well not on mine, i tried lubing everything up and the carbs fit tightly into both sides, i think the head was supposed to ocme off .i would have to look in the instructions, but i about tore my airbox boots up putting them back in and there still not all the way. i did lose one of the metal rings inside also, bent 2 others. if there is another option for a differant kind of airbox i would like to knowmaybe i could fabricate one. and get rid of the big plastic peice just befor the box itself
                        yeah man they will bend a lot and it seems like they are gunna break and it took me a long time to get them back on the first time but you just gotta find the right angle and move it right and you can get them out.

I usually loosen all the boots on the box then unbolt from the frame and push it down and back pretty hard and you wiggle the carbs free from the intake boots.

then eventually slip it out.

its pretty hard and doesnt seem to want to come out but they will.

it was hard my first time but now it's super easy.

Comment

Working...
                        X