Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Racing shocks VS. stock shocks...what is the difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Racing shocks VS. stock shocks...what is the difference?

I was just on bikebandit.com and saw these:

Was wondering, if and when I want to replace my shocks...what are my options? I've heard of "racing shocks"...but how would those differ from stock ones?

Thanks!

Rudi

Replace those stock shocks.

Aftermarket shocks will have much better damping capability and often a choice of spring rates. This translates into less weaving and bouncing around in the corners, less bottoming, and much more control in general.

Not to mention your stock shocks are most definitely worn out by now. Don't forget to upgrade your fork springs and fluiud, too.

When I got my GS, it had the old worn out stock shocks. I saw God in the first fast corner and ordered a nice set of Progressives that evening, right after I finished cleaning my underwear.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I bought a set of Progressive shocks last year.
      HUGE difference I also ordered 170/210 springs.
      I forget the price, my friend owns a parts shop.
      Do it soon.......
      I'm a big person, 6ft 260lbs. Plus my wife rides alot with me.
      The first day I had the shocks on we did 330 miles.
      No backache, no numb bum. Great ride.
      My wife said her bum didn't get numb until about 10 miles from home.
      We did lots of twisty stuff thru New Hampshire.
      I also put on Dunlop GT501 tires.
      Next is the front end, it's in for head and valve cover gaskets now.
      Keith
      -------------------------------------------
      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

How can you tell if your shocks are gone? When I go over a bump, it seems a bit bouncy...but not bad. Are there any signs?

Rudi

Comment

Rudi,
          Are they leaking? See any oil or liquid around the top, where the seals are?
          Does the shaft look rusted? this can be a sign or leaking.
          Are the springs rusted?
          If it "bounces" over bumps, could be caused by a few things, the springs are gone, ths shock is gone or a wrong size spring for your size.
          If they are the stock shocks, spend the couple of $$$ and get them replaced.

Keith
          Keith
          -------------------------------------------
          1980 GS1000S, blue and white
          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by KGB
            Rudi,
            Are they leaking? See any oil or liquid around the top, where the seals are?
            Does the shaft look rusted? this can be a sign or leaking.
            Are the springs rusted?
            If it "bounces" over bumps, could be caused by a few things, the springs are gone, ths shock is gone or a wrong size spring for your size.
            If they are the stock shocks, spend the couple of $$$ and get them replaced.

Keith
            Actually, Yeah..there is a sign of leakage over on the right side. I suspect I'll need new seals there. As for my rear shocks, it does bounce...but I'm not entirely sure how they're supposed to "feel" when going over a bump. I'll have to get an experienced rider to check this out. I know they are stock shocks..but they could still be good.

Rudi

Comment

Still good depends on the mileage. My origionals came off at 42000 and change and were replaced with progressive's with 105/150 springs and it's night and day for ride and handling. Even my wife noticed the difference. New fork springs have eliminated alot of nose dive on heavy braking also. Age isn't so bad but it's mileage that is more important. Springs weaken with mileage loosing their tension, shock oil can get old and start to break down; those 2 things can alter your handling no doubt. Rubber is the one affected by age the most; read seals. If seals are leaking, once the oil is gone you have nothing left for the shock to use for damping so your left with a bouncy spring.

Comment

Well, if mileage is the determining factor...then I'll need to change them. I have 89,000 miles on my bike! :-)

I guess "Progressive" makes really good shocks? Any other reputable companies?

Thanks

Rudi
                1980 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                X