intake boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

intake boots

I need to replace the boots between the carbs & engine on an 80 gs750e(intake boots?) They are in horrible shape,anything special I should know? I have the carbs off getting them cleaned & the boots are laying on the garage floor,they are hard & cracked where the clamps were.Just put the new ones on & clamp em down?Found em at a local dealer 4 about $15 but not sure if that is for 1 or a pair,I obviously know I need four. Still learning as I go!!!

You got it, just put em on, line them up correctly, & clamp them down. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by imnowhooked View Post
      I need to replace the boots between the carbs & engine on an 80 gs750e(intake boots?) They are in horrible shape,anything special I should know? I have the carbs off getting them cleaned & the boots are laying on the garage floor,they are hard & cracked where the clamps were.Just put the new ones on & clamp em down?Found em at a local dealer 4 about $15 but not sure if that is for 1 or a pair,I obviously know I need four. Still learning as I go!!!

Yup. You just put them on there exactly like they were taken off.

That price of $15 is probably for just one of the boots. I know on my 1980 GS1KG, they cost like $21 each...so I'm guessing that the $15 price is only for one.

Comment

Ya? Up here the stealership wanted $45 each
        I got em online for ~$13 ea.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
          You got it, just put em on, line them up correctly, & clamp them down. Ray.
          But dont forget new "O" rings between the boots and the head to stop air leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
            But dont forget new "O" rings between the boots and the head to stop air leaks.
            I just checked a diagram on Alpha, it appears the '80 750 is a 16-valve engine. They have a slightly different system where there is just a rubber sleeve between the output of the carb and the inlet port cast into the head. No o-rings like there are on the 8-valve engines.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Be aware that they are handed, 2 Left hand and 2 right hand.
              I don't think the 750 has intake O rings, my 82 doesn't, the boots go straight onto the head.

When you put them on. line them up correctly, as they are angled. Twist so the carb connection part is vertical, and you could lay a ruler horizontaly accross them and they are all in line.

If you have the stock airbox, its quite fiddly geting the carbs back on. I had to remove the boot on No 1, slide the carbs in at an angle, get them on the 3 boots, then angle them the other way and prise the fourth boot in last of all. So if you need to do that, its usefull knowing it has to be lined up and rotated correctly first, as its pretty hard to twist once its on. Ask me how I know this.

If you are buying intake boots, you might want to check your air box boots as well. I expect they are also in pretty poor shape. Even if not, old hard boots make it very difficult to get them onto the carbs.
              sigpic
              Current bikes:
              1982 GSX750EZ, 1989 CBR600F
              Previous bikes:
              More BSA Bantams than you can shake a stick at
              Bultaco 350 Trials, BSA C15
              1971 BSA B25SS Gold Star 250, 1969 BSA A65 Lightning
              1976 HONDA CB750 K6

Comment

If you have the stock airbox, its quite fiddly geting the carbs back on. I had to remove the boot on No 1, slide the carbs in at an angle, get them on the 3 boots, then angle them the other way and prise the fourth boot in last of all. So if you need to do that, its usefull knowing it has to be lined up and rotated correctly first, as its pretty hard to twist once its on. Ask me how I know this.
                I find it helpful to install the rack from the right hand side. It also helps to
                hook up the throttle cable before the rack is installed. They slide in at a pretty steep angle and then rotate them once you get them into the front boots.

Comment

Consider replacing the stock bolts with allen heads. It will make things a lot easier if you need to tighten or remove them later.
                  Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Thanks everyone, yes it is a 16 valve & I don't see any o-rings involved, they just slip on & have thin clamps that hold them. I had read on here about the o-rings on some bikes & wanted to make sure I was not missing anything, I also have K&N pods so will not have to worry with air box. Are these things made of gold or what?? About $60 for four!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      I just checked a diagram on Alpha, it appears the '80 750 is a 16-valve engine. They have a slightly different system where there is just a rubber sleeve between the output of the carb and the inlet port cast into the head. No o-rings like there are on the 8-valve engines.

Oops!!! My Bad.

Comment

Don't sweat it Suzuki Don, even if you made 50 oops a day, you would still be doing better than me!!!

Comment

Originally posted by imnowhooked View Post
                          Are these things made of gold or what?? About $60 for four!!!!!!!!
                          Be thankful. Be very, very thankful.

I have not done extensive comparison, but the equivalent part for an 850 (which includes the metal adapter that bolts to the head) sells for $31.18.

Others might be more or less, I only checked the first supplier on my list.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I shall consider myself lucky then, these things better last longer than I will.

Comment

They should be replaced on a regular basis.

Depending on how often you use your bike, every 20 years seems to be about right.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X