"suzukimatic"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"suzukimatic"

My brother-in-law just gave my wife a "SUZUKIMATIC". Year unknown, 80ish I think. I don't know much about them, but it starts(carbs need cleanin'), and shifts into gear. It looks like a GS450 engine, and is in descent shape (it was raining when I looked at it for about 5 seconds). Does anyone know anything about these bikes? What to look out for? That funky automatic tranny? Any info would be appreciated.
    Mark

This may help

Here is the info I recieved from a different forum.
    I hope it is helpfull, Sounds like what you have.

Thanks,
    Gavin

The model you have is known as the GS450GAD 1983 starting VIN
    JS1GL51K_D_100001.The bike was introduced in 1982 and the model ended in the USA in 1985 due to poor sales.It was built as a copy of the
    GS450 with the auto trans added.Topend parts interchange with the
    standard GS450.It has 2 CV carbs (BS34SS)with a accelerator pump.The
    cams used were special low lift and less overlap units to increase
    mid range power.The Suzuki shaft drive system was used for minimum
    maintenence and smoothness of ride.It has air forks;the low seat
    height of the GS300(29 1/2");parking brake;and a 16" rear tire .The
    automatic is really a small torque converter,that looks like a very
    small automobile torque converter.This unit is located under the large
    RH engine cover(would be called a clutch cover on a normal bike).Stall
    speed of this converter is between 3800-4100 rpm.Only 10W40 engine oil
    is used in the engine-No ATF- the oil does double duty lubing the
    engine and driving the converter.This bike had no warrantable problems
    during its 4 year life.New OEM parts are going to be hard to come
    by,and salvage yards may be the only solution.

Comment

There's one for sale on ebay right now.

Terry

Comment

is that a clutch lever or an extra brake?

Comment

Originally posted by rick romero
          is that a clutch lever or an extra brake?
          Rick, I think you would still need a clutch to engage the transmission so that when you start ther bike it will not be in gear. Not everyine is a louisiana wheelie champ.

Comment

GS450 automatic

I have one of these and really like it. I bought it for my wife,but she's too chicken to ride. The right side lever is a parking brake. there is no clutch. Very easy tor ride and lots of power too for just a 450cc

Comment

GS450 automatic

I mean the left lever is the brake, not the right lever!!!

Comment

automatics dont have clutches...

i saw one of these on ebay a while ago...i really like the idea of them. i want to get one of these someday or at least go for a ride on one. i think it'd be a fun bike to have around for short little across town trips. its gotta be a blast.

~Adam

Comment

I had a 450 Hondamatic for a while back in the 80s. It was a blast! I used to run it around on our Iowa rock roads, taking the S-curves like Jay Springstein. Yahoo! Luckily, I'm still alive.
                  Until about a month ago I didn't even know Suzuki had made one. My girlfriend was born without her right hand, and has been bugging me to rig up a bike for her with a left-hand throttle, just for running around on the farm. I had wondered what to do about the whole clutch/throttle on the same side problem. I think i just found the answer! If I can get an auto with a drum brake, it wouldn't be too hard to move the brake lever to the left side.

Comment

Suzukimatic

I love my little 450. It gets about 55 mpg and is sooo easy to ride. Problem I have is I also have a '79GL1000 which I love too. The 450 is actually my wife's bike, and she is kinda scared to ride. If you were closer maybe I'd sell it to your girlfriend.

Comment

You could take a thumb-throttle off of a snowmachine or ATV. That may be workable along with the brakes with one hand. There are also companies that make lockup clutches specifically for replacing clutch baskets. These have the option of replacing the clutch lever with a rear brake lever.

Cheers, Steve

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
                        automatics dont have clutches...

i saw one of these on ebay a while ago...i really like the idea of them. i want to get one of these someday or at least go for a ride on one. i think it'd be a fun bike to have around for short little across town trips. its gotta be a blast.

~Adam
                        Are you saying that this motorcycle starts with the torque converter engaged and during a warmup or some sort of engine repair or test, if you rev the engine you will go foreward?????

Comment

i guess its like a clutchless VW bug, you just put it in gear and give it gas

Comment

Originally posted by rick romero
                            i guess its like a clutchless VW bug, you just put it in gear and give it gas
                            Rick, My dad had a super beetle like that but the device was an electeric clutch which dis engaged when you grabbed the shift lever and engaged whenyou let it go. Neat but definitely had a clutch mechanism. ill bet that these suzukimatics have a slip clutch in addition to the torque converter and you start it in neutral then when you are ready yo go you just push it into gear and give it the throttle. A hydramatic is shifIted into a gear position and as the pressure builds up, the bands/clutch tighten up. I would have a hard time imagining just wacking something into gear.

Comment

Probably more like an auto-tranny car...

Start in Neutral (doiubt a bike would have 'Park'), and put it in 'drive' when you wanna move...

Comment

Working...
                              X