Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stumped! GS450 Front fork top cap...

Hey guys/gals,

First off, I want to say thank you to everyone on this board. It's been such a resourceful site for a total newbie like me. This is my first ever motorcycle project, and it's been a heap of fun so far!

I did do a search here, I have a Clymer's manual, but I'm pretty stumped on this one.

I have a 1980 GS450 (L model... I think), and I'm rebuilding the front forks with new seals and boots. Instead of a top fork cap with a hex head like I've seen everywhere, I seem to have some kind of a block-off plate with an air valve on it. The plate is held in by an embedded c-clip (non-removable), and the plate itself does not screw out. I did manage to get the air valve off with an impact, but still have no idea as to how to remove it to get to the springs.

Any help would be appreciated!

-danny

Here's a picture of my predicament.

First of all,

Impressive, picture on the first post, too.

What makes you think that the "embedded c-clip" can't be removed? It had to go in somehow.

I think that if you remove the clip, it will come apart.
    One thing to watch, though, is that the c-clip might be the only thing keeping tension on the springs.
    Remove the clip and things MIGHT go S P R O I N G ! ! !

Last edited by Steve; 02-18-2009, 05:39 PM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey Steve,

Yes, I'm also a member of a few other automotive forums, I fully comprehend the importance of pictorial illustrations!

I say the c-clip is non-removable because it sits inside a grove in the fork tube, and also a groove in the "block off plate" as well. The clip is more like a c-ring, about the thickness of a paperclip. I can't even reach it with another paper clip, let alone pull it out of the groove. I even thought about pushing the plate down into the tube, turning it sideways, and slipping it out through the cut-out on the c-ring, but it doesn't want to pop down, either.

Here's a close-up of the darn thing.

Comment

I bet you can push it down. Mine were corroded like that so after soaking it with deep creep I put a deep socket on the plate and gave it a few raps. Boooing ! Keep in mind mine had a threaded cap with no clip like you speak of. Whats the other side look like ?
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Push it down, hold it down and remove the c clip and the lot will come out

Comment

Apparently, this IS supposed to serve the purpose of the threaded cap. There was nothing else on top of this besides the finishing rubber cap. The bottom looks like a normal GS fork, with the allen hex thing that holds the damper rod thing.

I'll give it another try with the mallet. Any other ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle View Post
              Awesometown. Gonna go try it now. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle View Post
                Yup! It takes three and a half hands, but this is how it comes out.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I am so glad this was posted. I'm about to rebuild the forks on an 86 GS450 with the same type fork cap. Now I know I need a couple of extra hands.
                  Thanks
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    Now I know I need a couple of extra hands.
                    Or just a vise with e x t r a - w i d e opening.

You have a hydraulic press? Squeeze the air cap down using a deep socket that is slim enough to still allow you to get to the clip, then release the pressure.
                    sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                      I am so glad this was posted. I'm about to rebuild the forks on an 86 GS450 with the same type fork cap. Now I know I need a couple of extra hands.
                      Thanks
                      Thanks everyone for the helpful tips!

Yes, it took two of us to get the thing off. Mine was rusty and had to be soaked in some PB Blaster to get it loose enough to push down. We used a 10mm deep socket on the air valve and two thumbs to push it down. Once it's down, it's a lot easier to pry the c-clip DOWN with a small flat head screwdriver rather than up, then when it's out of the groove, use another small flat head to pop it out of the tube.

Reassembly only took two hands though, but I'm sure it's easier with 3.5.

Comment

Working...
                      X