starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting

i have a 83 gs 1100 gk i have been on this forum for some time now but had to reactivate my acc. under my wifes name my name is craig campbell. my question is do i have to change out my starter relay because the bike will not start at all only a clicking noise when i push the start button i was charging the battery when this happend. i think i do but not sure i have been working on this bike for awhile off and on when time and money permit.. can any one help..

thanks
    craig
    83 gs11gk
    spring,tx

Battery

Hey Craig, my guess is that the problem is your battery. They seem prone to problems on all bikes and sometimes it's really hard to tell if they're "shot". I think that the clicking sound is a good sign but I'm not certain about that. Good luck!
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Craig,

I just had the same problem with my bike yesteday. Take the two big wires off of it, and unplug the small wire that goes to the starter switch. Remove it from the bike. Unscrew the two phillups head screws, and then un-solder the wire from the relay. You will have to remove all the solder because there is a wire that goes from inside the relay to the outside through a hole in it. Take it apart, clean the contacts with a wire brush. Put it back together, making sure to get the wire back through the hole, re-solder it and it will work good as new. The clicking sound you hear is the relay operating, but it doesn't turn the starter motor because of the corrosion on the big copper contacts. Clean all three pieces. took me about 20 minutes yesterday.

Terry

Comment

I would check the battery first, you may have cooked it. It should have 12.5 to 14V, the relay will click with 9v and above but the starter will not turn on under 11.5V.

Keith S

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Scrimgeour
          I would check the battery first, you may have cooked it. It should have 12.5 to 14V, the relay will click with 9v and above but the starter will not turn on under 11.5V.

Keith S
          Get a screwdriver and short between the two big post. If the starter turns, then the relay is bad.

Terry

Comment

Working...
          X