550's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    Suzuki changed the cam timing on the 850 when they added the cross over chamber in the exhaust. I think the later cams are tuned for more bottom end power compared to the early cams. If using a 4:1 exhaust and pods, I would think the early cams would have an advantage at high rpm.
    Not sure if they changed the cams because of the crossover pipe or it's just coincidence that they happened at the same time.

But yes, the timing changed from '79 to '80. The duration stayed the same, but the timing was advanced 10 degrees, so they open and close 10 degrees earlier. Earlier intake valve closing is better for low rpm torque.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Not sure if they changed the cams because of the crossover pipe or it's just coincidence that they happened at the same time.

But yes, the timing changed from '79 to '80. The duration stayed the same, but the timing was advanced 10 degrees, so they open and close 10 degrees earlier. Earlier intake valve closing is better for low rpm torque.

ok while I am still trying to understand timing I have a question for you steve on your 81 850 does it have a 2+2 exhaust or does it have and H pipe on it connecting them?

Comment

Working...
      X