Reviving an Old Bike, Please Help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jebus23 View Post
    I noticed on two of the carbs there was a spring missing on the "valve with miniature filter under the float that is attached with 1 screw" but I didn't know if that was a big deal since I figured the pin would still depress once the float was filled. Please help!
    I'm still scratching my head on this one. Aren't we talking about CV carbs? Maybe someone here can explain it to me, but I've never seen a float needle with a spring on it. If you turn the carb upside down you have the float...pull the pin that holds it in and remove it. Now the needle valve should just slip out. No spring there at all, unless you count the tiny spring inside the needle itself. But I didn't think those could be removed, so all you see is the needle valve with a pointy tip and a little springy post on the other end. No spring to remove.

Once you pull that out and remove the screw the retainer for the needle valve seat can be removed and you can pull that seat out. It has the filter screen on the top of it.

I still don't see what spring you're talking about, and I'm thinking that someone tried to stop a fuel leak by adding springs that should not have been there. Either they had a bad needle valve, a bad seat, or the float height wasn't set properly. Either way, I don't see why springs would be there, unless your CV carbs are different from every other CV I"ve been inside. Those springs could be the reason your carbs are not moving fuel to the engine. You're looking to replace missing springs, and I'm thinking you should be removing extra ones. Read over the carb cleanup series very carefully and review all those steps with your carbs.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!

Hi Mr. Jebus23,

Yes, there is definitely a laundry list of tasks to revive these old classics. All (well, most) will be revealed below. Just call me the "mega-welcome wagon".

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thank for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Ok so updating this since I still need some much appreciated help. As of now its no longer my friend's bike....It's mine....I bought it! Ok so on with the updates:

I have decided to go with the pod filter route since it is so much easier to access everything. I installed the cleaned carbs, rebuilt and cleaned the petcock, replaced the fuel line, and gave her a try. She starts up (at first needed some help with starter fluid) but only on full choke. As soon as I take it off it dies. Also, when I give it throttle the sliding valve that is part of the Cv boot shutters. This makes me think I have a vacuum leak somewhere. I ordered the O-rings for the intake manifold and I'm praying this will solve my problem. What I do know now from replacing the parts listed above is that I'm getting sufficient gas to the float bowl. I did not soak the carbs or pull them apart but I gave them a damn thorough cleaning with the spray and air compressor. I removed all the jets and screws and they were all cleaned well. So vacuum leak? Ideas?

Comment

Hi,

The Carb Rebuild Series.

You'll be glad you did.

BassCliff

Comment

Ok so updating this since I still need some much appreciated help. As of now its no longer my friend's bike....It's mine....I bought it! Ok so on with the updates:

As soon as I take it off it dies. Also, when I give it throttle the sliding valve that is part of the Cv boot shutters. This makes me think I have a vacuum leak somewhere. ...I removed all the jets and screws and they were all cleaned well. So vacuum leak? Ideas?
            Are you trying to run the engine while watching the slides move? That can only mean one thing: you didn't have the air filters in place.

These bikes are very sensitive to air flow. The filter makes a huge difference. With it removed you will never have the proper air mixture and it just won't run right, if at all. If you do go from stock to pods you will HAVE to rejet the carbs. There's no way it will run right until you do. Extra air flow from the the pods require more fuel in the way of larger main jets.

Here's an example from a GS850 I was working on. I had it perfect, running like a champ. Rejetted the carbs and everything was great. Then I noticed the exhaust crossover wasn't connected on one side. I fixed that and it suddenly wouldn't go above 4500 RPM. That slight exhaust leak was enough to screw it up, and I had to rejet the carbs again.

The point: if you go from stock air filter to pods you are going to have to make changes in the carbs. If you're trying to learn anything about how it runs by running it wth the filters off, you're wasting your time. Want proof...lay a piece of cardboard across the back of the carbs so that it covers 1/2 of each opening. Run it like that...you'll be amazed.

Comment

I have decided to go with the pod filter route since it is so much easier to access everything. I installed the cleaned carbs, rebuilt and cleaned the petcock, replaced the fuel line, and gave her a try. She starts up (at first needed some help with starter fluid) but only on full choke. As soon as I take it off it dies. Also, when I give it throttle the sliding valve that is part of the Cv boot shutters. This makes me think I have a vacuum leak somewhere. I ordered the O-rings for the intake manifold and I'm praying this will solve my problem. What I do know now from replacing the parts listed above is that I'm getting sufficient gas to the float bowl. I did not soak the carbs or pull them apart but I gave them a damn thorough cleaning with the spray and air compressor. I removed all the jets and screws and they were all cleaned well. So vacuum leak? Ideas?
              Jebus,

You ask for help and then ignore those who freely offer their knowledge based upon their own accumulated experience.

1. You need to replace the O rings in the carbs!!!!
              2. You need to completely clean the carbs per the instructions
              3. You need new O rings between the intakes and the head

Ditch the pods until you have it running correctly as they will screw up the airflow. You'll have to rejet for the pods.

Take some time and read through BassCliffs website. It's mandatory and a wealth of knowledge that you need to refer to.

Why seek advice and then ignore it???
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

The bike is running beautifully on stock set up after carb cleaning and o-ring refresh. Thanks for the help everyone.

Comment

Alright!!!!

Comment

Hi Mr. Jebus23

Excellent! I love it when the good guys win! Nice work.

Thanks for sharing your success. Have we seen pictures of the object of so much of your affection?

BassCliff

Comment

Fantastic !!!!! Glad you got her running well. Enjoy riding and be safe.

Now where are those pics ?? We want pics !!!!! We want pics !!!!!
                      Larry D
                      1980 GS450S
                      1981 GS450S
                      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

See how much love you get when things go right
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                        X