Gas flooding cylinder #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas flooding cylinder #2

Mine is an '82 GS850GL. I followed a post that talked about the #2 cylinder flooding and repair tips pointed to the petcock and crud in the carb. My engine, unfortunately needs rings now (according to a wet/dry compression test) and I figure it's a combination of the flooding and poor maintenance by the previous owner. When the weather breaks a little, I'm going to dismantle the engine and analyze the re-build. When I revive this cool little unit, I don't want the flooding to be an issue again.I thought about a standard petcock with no vacuum valve and maybe better fuel filtering. Any tips on the carb and/or engine re-build?

you should check the valve adjustment, before condeming the compression if it hasn't been done. How many miles on the bike ?
    How long has the motor been run ??
    Carb rebuild is not that hard just follow the guide in the forum garage and take your time. I like to use 4 of the big Glad disposible containers that you find at the market for carb work. . Keeps each carbs parts seperate. If the petcock is not working corret it is best to replace it. aftermarket about $45 new around $80 pingle mauual petcock around $90 www.z1enterprises.com can get your parts

Comment

Gas flooding #2

The bike is just short of 20k and I don't know the history prior to 16k. I will certainly check the valves before heading further south. Each cylinder did register varying pressure; as much as 40 psi difference. thanks for the tip.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!

Hi Mr. rideOn,

Let me welcome you to the forum and point you to a couple of resources to aid you in maintaining your classic GS. Just call me the "mega-welcome wagon".

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. We like pictures. Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Please keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The flooding of excess fuel into the cylinder washes down any oil on the cylinder walls and causes scuffing of the piston and rings in that cylinder in FAST order. It will not take long to destroy the rings in that cylinder. If you have a wet fouled plug in #2 ,...check the fuel pet cock FIRST. Just FYI.

Terry
          1980 Suzuki GS550E, 1981 Suzuki GS 1100EX all stock, 1983 Suzuki GS 1100EX modified, 1985 GS1150E, 1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1971 Kawasaki Mach lll 500 H1, 1973 Kawasaki Mach lV 750 H2.

Comment

Originally posted by rideOn View Post
            I followed a post that talked about the #2 cylinder flooding and repair tips pointed to the petcock and crud in the carb. My engine, unfortunately needs rings now (according to a wet/dry compression test) and I figure it's a combination of the flooding and poor maintenance by the previous owner.
            What's the recent history of this engine? If it has been sitting a while, that can cause low or varying compression. Rings get stuck in their ring grooves or whatever, just have to get used to working again. Virtually all of the GSes I have restored have seen huge improvements in compression after riding a few hundred miles.
            The last one went from 60 - 90 PSI to 130 something across the board after riding it hard for less than an hour.
            Went from running like crap to pretty much the scalded cat stage with only a good run.

With only 20,000 your engine should have very little wear unless the owner was a complete idiot.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

To expand on what the others have said, when was the last valve adjustment? 20k miles in nothing on a GS engine so unless it has storage rot, such as rust inside the engine, the rings should be fine.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Gas flooding cylinder #2

I put about 4k on this bike after I first got it and did some basic electrical work. I did the compression test according to my Clymer manual, which is the same as the tools' guidelines. I read 30-60 psi on all cyclinders dry and 60-90 wet. I have to admit that I have never adjusted valves on a motorcycle and it looks tedious, but there seems to be plenty of good help in this forum!! Is it possbile that the valves could cause such a range in readings? It would be terrific if I could adjust the valves, fix the gas flooding and ride.

Comment

Gas flooding cylinder #2

By the way, thanks for everyone's input. I know I'll have my machine back up soonly!

Comment

Originally posted by rideOn View Post
                    I put about 4k on this bike after I first got it and did some basic electrical work. I did the compression test according to my Clymer manual, which is the same as the tools' guidelines. I read 30-60 psi on all cyclinders dry and 60-90 wet. I have to admit that I have never adjusted valves on a motorcycle and it looks tedious, but there seems to be plenty of good help in this forum!! Is it possbile that the valves could cause such a range in readings? It would be terrific if I could adjust the valves, fix the gas flooding and ride.
                    Did you open the throttle when you cranked the engine for the compression test?
                    They usually rear about sixty something with it closed.
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Gas flooding cylinder #2

No, I stayed of the throttle.

Comment

Working...
                      X