Magneto Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magneto Removal

How do I get the Magneto off of an 82GS1100E?? Do I need a special puller? I've removed the nut on the end of the shaft, but thats as far as I've got.

Come on. I see you guys are looking at my post, but no one is helping me out here......

Comment

Yes, you need a special puller. Do not try to remove this without the correct tool.

I did mine the easy way. I just took the crank to my Suzuki dealer and had them remove it. The mechanic found the right puller, put it on the bench, I held the crank steady, he busted it loose, and 15 sec later the job was done. Best of all - he didn't charge me a dime. Probably figure the poor bastard (me) would never get it back together again and had pitty.

They may charge you for the job, but I doubt it would be much.

Why are you removing it? Starter clutch problems? Replacing the crank seal on that side?

Comment

Taking the crank out is not an option in my eyes unless you are in a complete rebuild. In my case, i bought the tool from the suzuki dealer. it was under $20US if i remember. then i proceeded to destroy the rotor wheel when i missed a hammer strike on the tool. The tool worked great for me though. I had tried to remove the rotor with a large puller that i had in my garage and that didn't work. This is just my experience with that job. Good luck at any rate.

Comment

Yea - you don't need to remove the crank. Mine was out so it made it that much easier to get to the dealer. I hope that was obvious.

The tool they used did not require a hammer. It was essentially a lage nut that goes over the end of the rotor (you can see the threads on it if you look) with a bolt that threads throught the larger nut to push on the end of the crank.

He had to apply quite a bit of torque to the this tool to get the rotor off my crank. Yours may come off easier, but if it doesn't there is no way you can do it with a conventional pully puller.

I guess a hammer driven tool would work, but I don't much like the idea of striking the end of my crank with a hammer. That is not how the factory Suzuki tool works. It seems to me to have the potential of doing damage to the crank.

My suggestion is to get the correct tool (if you plan on doing this operation a few times) or simply have your Suzuki mechanic do it for you.

Comment

It looks like Im gona have to buy the tool. But the nearest Suzuki dealer is almost 2 hours away...... Thanks for the advice.

I'm having trouble with the starter clutch. Its not engaging....... Why can't the magneto come off like a lawn mower flywheel....... It would make my life so much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippo
              It looks like Im gona have to buy the tool. But the nearest Suzuki dealer is almost 2 hours away...... Thanks for the advice.

I'm having trouble with the starter clutch. Its not engaging....... Why can't the magneto come off like a lawn mower flywheel....... It would make my life so much easier.
              I can't wait to hear how you got the stator off without using a hammer. If the stator was in a vice then maybe you could do it with a large breaker bar. Just a speculation

Comment

Without a hammer? ... just use the biggest 1/2" hammer rachet impact driver tool thingy you can find. By the way..., does anyone else's manual advise against hammering on a rotor since it causes demagnetization?

Comment

DON'T use an impact wrench or hammer. Not only can it demagnetize a magnet, it can damage crank bearings.

I had lost my remover, but discovered that the center bolt from my Pittman arm remover was the same threads as the threaded part of the magneto. This is the "tool" you need, merely a hardened bolt.

The real secret is clamping the flywheel so it won't turn. Wrap the outside with electrical tape first, then get some Vise-Grip chain pliers. That's right, the Vise Grips with a chain on them, I got mine at Harbor Freight. Clamp the Vise Grips on the circumference of the flywheel--pretty tight, of course, then put a cheater bar over the handle of the Vise Grips.

Now screw the removal bolt into the center of the flywheel and use a 1/2" breaker bar with another long cheater pipe. Turn the bolt, until you'd swear something would break ...it WILL eventually come free.

Search for a thread on this subject back around September or so of last year, and I wrote what size the threaded bolt was. (I has logged in under another moniker then)

Comment

The tool that the mechanic used at Suzuki had a large threaded socket with a bolt through the inside to push against the crank. He used two wrenches - one to hold the socket the other to turn the bolt. No need for a hammer. No need to clamp onto the rotor. Get the correct tool. There is no way I would take a hammer to the end of my crank! lol That can be taken in many ways.

Comment

I called the suki dealer and they want $90 for the tool..... I realy dont want to spend that much on a tool. Is there any way I can make something that would work? What excatly holds the magneto on? Are the threads on the nut thats agasnt the magneto left handed thread? Sorry for all the questions, but thanks for your help.

Comment

first it is called a rotor, secondly it is a tight fitting taper that hold it on. the threads are standard right hand but the removal tool uses left hand threads for the removal bolt that goes down the middle.
                        some models use a tool that uses a slide hammer to pull the rotor off while others use a tool that has a bolt screwed down the middle to remove the rotor.

Comment

ROTOR TOOL REMOVER

TRY LOOKING UP DENNIS KIRK ON THE INTERNET. THEY HAVE THE TOOL LISTED IN THEIR CATALOG BUT MAY NOT BE IN STOCK. ABOUT 25-30$.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippo
                            I called the suki dealer and they want $90 for the tool..... I realy dont want to spend that much on a tool. Is there any way I can make something that would work? What excatly holds the magneto on? Are the threads on the nut thats agasnt the magneto left handed thread? Sorry for all the questions, but thanks for your help.
                            Blood suckers

Comment

Re: ROTOR TOOL REMOVER

Originally posted by harvey hodges
                              TRY LOOKING UP DENNIS KIRK ON THE INTERNET. THEY HAVE THE TOOL LISTED IN THEIR CATALOG BUT MAY NOT BE IN STOCK. ABOUT 25-30$.

I did last night and ordered it. $35.99 with shipping. Ordered the gasket from the dealer, only $6, So I dont know why they wanted that much for the tool. Oh well. Time for a nap, got my blazer stuck last night and spent 4 hours in the woods, then finaly walked 1.5 miles in the dark. Got it out tonight after work, so its sleepy time. Thanks for all your help guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X