Petcock with off position?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrZig View Post
    Well I went to a few different places online and found they were near $80, and since I'm in Canada I figured it would cost around $100 taxes in.
    Oh, I see.

You might want to fill in your location so it shows up in your posts. There are sometimes some important differences between US and Canadian models, too. Maybe someone can point you to a better Canadian source for parts.

Z1 enterprises is located just across Lake Erie, and they have quite a bit of experience with shipping goodies into Canada. Might give them a call -- even if they can't source a cheaper aftermarket petcock, they can get Suzuki parts at pretty decent prices:
    Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

You could also add an inline fuel valve from a lawn tractor as a cheap, low-rent, skanky bodge until you can pull together some cash to fix it right.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Well the problem with adding a tractor on/off valve is that mine is still leaking. Argh.

I phoned the dealer and they want $96.07 for the pet cock. Owch. Anything I buy from the states I have to add another 20% from the dollar, plus shipping and customs so it won't be worth it.

Looks like I have to suck it up!

Comment

Buy a good used one?
        Not sure if it works in Canadia, but for shipping to Europe I have put "used auto parts being shipped for repair" on the box, they didn't have to pay anything.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Buy a good used one?
          Not sure if it works in Canadia, but for shipping to Europe I have put "used auto parts being shipped for repair" on the box, they didn't have to pay anything.
          I don't want to buy a used one incase it decides to leak on me again or fail like mine did, heh.

Looks like I might just go and spend the dough on an OEM one. Just wish it didn't have that silly vacuum setup. Damn I hate vacuum actuated anything.

I've also thought about using a fuel cock from an old Honda 200cc trike we have, and somehow adapting it to use with the two screw holes in the fuel tank. Maybe make an adapter out of a block of aluminum or something.

Comment

Originally posted by C.V. View Post
            Not to hijack, but does anyone know someone who has actually hydrolocked an engine this way? The only hydro lock i ever witnessed was a fool on an HD in Phoenix try to ride through a deep (too deep!)puddle...sucked a nice gulp of water through his pretty S&S aircleaner and EEEEERRP!
            Yes, and I don't think it's all that rare. It happened twice with a 2001 Suzuki Bandit I bought last Thanksgiving. Same reason -- bum petcock, less-than-stellar fuel inlet seat / valve operation. Solution: replace both with OEM.
            and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
            __________________________________________________ ______________________
            2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

You know what, I think I might try the TS250 cock. It uses the exact same mounting bolts, and I bet the spacing is the same as well.

Assuming it fit, would it flow as much fuel as the GS400's petcock? Or could it possibly starve the carbs?

Edit: Part comparison
              TS250: http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-ts250-19...ist/86322.html
              GS400: http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs400-x-...ist/91980.html

Comment

Why exactly is yours still leaking even with the tractor valve put in place?? The tractor valve has a very clear on/off switch, and when it's in the off position there is no way that gas is going to be flowing through the valve.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimpdiggity View Post
                  Why exactly is yours still leaking even with the tractor valve put in place?? The tractor valve has a very clear on/off switch, and when it's in the off position there is no way that gas is going to be flowing through the valve.
                  It's not leaking through the plumbing, it's leaking through the actual turning-knob-selector.

See the part to the immediate right of #2 in this picture: http://www.cmsnl.com/img/partslist/f...0046FIG-38.gif

I replaced the rubber seal around it and it slowed the leak down, but when I wiggle the selector it feels really loose. The screws are tight, too. Although I did round their heads off a bit. Basically gas is coming out of the front of it and dripping down.

Screw it, I'm not going to **** around and I'll just buy the OEM petcock for the 400. It should last as long as I own the bike and I know it was built for it.

Comment

Originally posted by MrZig View Post
                    It's not leaking through the plumbing, it's leaking through the actual turning-knob-selector.

See the part to the immediate right of #2 in this picture: http://www.cmsnl.com/img/partslist/f...0046FIG-38.gif

I replaced the rubber seal around it and it slowed the leak down, but when I wiggle the selector it feels really loose. The screws are tight, too. Although I did round their heads off a bit. Basically gas is coming out of the front of it and dripping down.

Screw it, I'm not going to **** around and I'll just buy the OEM petcock for the 400. It should last as long as I own the bike and I know it was built for it.

Ah, I see.

I'd say it's time for a new one. I just got my GS, and even though I'm not sure if it NEEDS a new petcock, I'm ordering one for it anyways.

In my opinion, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Comment

"Low-rent spanky bodge"... That's awsome, bwringer.

Anyway I just bought an nos in the suzuki box at a suzuki dealer in Youngstown Ohio, for 47.00, just 3 months ago.

unfortunately I'm still starving for fuel... I need a high flo after market.

besides the point! Do some more searching online...

Comment

Okay so the question is whether to go with

A) 1978 GS400 Petcock http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs400-x-...ist/91980.html
                        or
                        B) 1980 GSX400 Petcock http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gsx400-1...st/FIG-49.html

They look like they mount the same, but otherwise look different. Would any one be more reliable than the other?

Comment

Mr Zig...get a late 90's (or compatible) RM250 petcock. You have on/off/reserve. No vacuum control and no doubts about when you turn the thing to "off". Also only about $20.

Comment

...wait, that's assuming the petcock for the GS400 has the same flange pattern as the 78 and 81 GS750's.

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
                              ...wait, that's assuming the petcock for the GS400 has the same flange pattern as the 78 and 81 GS750's.
                              Would the 250 petcock flow as much fuel as the 400 though? I wouldn't want to starve it for fuel at high rpm's/WOT.

And that's the thing, I can't be sure if it's the same flange. hmm.

Comment

Those 250's put down more power stock than your 400 has even the potential of creating...plus, petcocks don't really come in that many sizes. You'd be hard pressed to find one that wouldn't flow enough fuel for the biggest of the GS'.

Comment

Working...
                                X