Petcock with off position?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
    Those 250's put down more power stock than your 400 has even the potential of creating...plus, petcocks don't really come in that many sizes. You'd be hard pressed to find one that wouldn't flow enough fuel for the biggest of the GS'.
    This is the RM250 petcock: http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-rm250-19...ist/88168.html

Looks completley different than the flange for my 400.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post

Anyway I just bought an nos in the suzuki box at a suzuki dealer in Youngstown Ohio, for 47.00, just 3 months ago.

unfortunately I'm still starving for fuel... I need a high flo after market.
      You have other problems besides the petcock.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

zig...kinda botched that...you want RMX (street legal RM) or RMZ (4-stroke) because they're the ones with the reserve.

Mine doesn't have as sharp a shape to the base...I'll double check the year...but I know it's from an RMX250.

Comment

Mine's from a '97 RMX250.

Comment

Mine's from a '97 RMX250.
            So you run this on a 750 with no problems?

Comment

...if I were having issues I wouldn't be suggesting it.

Comment

...if I were having issues I wouldn't be suggesting it.
                Lol I know I'm just confirming that it was the bike you were running it on.

Well I think that's the valve I'll grab then. Cheaper, and has a manual off selection to boot.

Holy crap is the one fuel intake part tall though.

Comment

I can't remember if I had to swap the screens out...I'm thinking I did because my RMX piece didn't come with a screen, iirc...but the petcock on my bike wasn't stock, either...so that part is a gamble, I don't foresee you having issues, though.

Biggest thing is make sure your bike has a 44mm petcock bolt pattern.

Comment

I can't remember if I had to swap the screens out...I'm thinking I did because my RMX piece didn't come with a screen, iirc...but the petcock on my bike wasn't stock, either...so that part is a gamble, I don't foresee you having issues, though.

Biggest thing is make sure your bike has a 44mm petcock bolt pattern.
                    44mm, is that the distance in between the two mounting holes?

Comment

yes...center to center...it's hard to measure without proper tools so if it looks like it's anywhere in that area within a couple mm then it's golden. Odds are it's the same, but I don't want to guess.

Comment

yes...center to center...it's hard to measure without proper tools so if it looks like it's anywhere in that area within a couple mm then it's golden. Odds are it's the same, but I don't want to guess.
                        Okay it looks like it's a 44mm. Plus it has '440' imprinted on the top of it. Whether or not that means 44mm I don't know, but I'm going to take the chance and buy the 250 petcock. If it doesn't work, well then I can return it at a 20% restocking fee so it's not the end of the world.

Comment

Rather replace your petcock with the original that has the vacuum shut off. It is a very good design regardless of what some people say. If it is in good condition you never have to worry about it leaking or fuel getting into your sump.

Just think about it, a manual petcock is OK if you are never, never, ever going to forget to switch it to "ON" when pulling away and that you or anyone else is never, never, never, ever going to leave it "ON" after parking the bike.

It is unfortunately expensive, but finally your decision.
                          Just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

Well here's the plan, I'm going to buy the OEM petcock for $96 and if it breaks on me again I'll switch to the 250 petcock.

I bought this bike for cheap so dumping a little money into it doesn't bother me.

Comment

Try here for the petcock. They list it at $70.

http://http://www.worldofcycles.com/catalog.asp

I've gotten good service from them.
                              JP
                              1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
                              1992 Concours
                              2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
                              2007 FJR

Comment

That's your call...the OEM petcock is a good piece, I just hate vacuum hoses and I hate not having an off position...I also hate spending money so I was faced with using a free RMX piece or spending $50 to rebuild mine or $100 to get a new one. A new one should last longer than you'll realistically have the bike.

Comment

Working...
                                X