Degreaser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Degreaser

I jsut got my swingarm in the mail and am attempting to clean it up to put on my bike. what kind of degreaser do you all use? this one is pretty messy with lots of dirt and grime as well as lots of fine sticky grease...my friend gave me some blue thunder, it works ok. I'm looking for ideas that will work better.
    Cheers,
    Shaun

I use Gunk engine degreaser a lot but I guess kerosene would also work fine, and is a lot cheaper.

Simon

Comment

Actually Simon, kerosene works much better. :-) :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Simon Waters
      I use Gunk engine degreaser a lot but I guess kerosene would also work fine, and is a lot cheaper.

Simon
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Use the pressure washer first then I use the RED can of CRC BrakeKlean. It is also o-ring friendly. The Green can will eat plastic, including saftey glasses, but the RED can is much better. Diesel fuel / kerosene works but you have a hard time getting the smell out of anything it gets splashed on.

Thanks,
        Gavin Shafer

Comment

I use a mixture of products to clean parts. Most commonly kerosene followed by soap and water. On your swingarm anything that cleans (except gasoline) would probably be ok.

No one has advocated it here - which is good - but NEVER use gasoline. Aside from the fact that it is a very flamable liquid, it is not good to use on bearing surfaces. The reason for this is that gasoline removes all of the oil that has penetrated into the surface of the metal and dries it out. This is not good for bearing surfaces. (I know you are not cleaning bearings) My guess is that solvents such as carburator cleaner can do the same thing. I always use kerosine on bearing surfaces.

Comment

EPA

Thanks to the EPA, none of the degreasers are nearly as good as they were, even 5 or 6 years ago.....especially in good, 'ol California. :? They'd outlaw gasoline here if they could........
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Kerosene!!!

Comment

I agree Kerosene works great and is safe if you get any on painted parts and pieces!

Comment

Working...
                X