will this work? cbr 900 regulator 5 wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

will this work? cbr 900 regulator 5 wire

I have a honda regulator and I was wondering if it would work on my 78 550e . It is a cbr 900 - 5 wire, 3 black wires, and 1 black wire red tracer and one black with a white tracer. thanks
    Jeff

Hi Mr. opivyrocks,

Do you have a make/model or part number? There's a list of units that are suspected to work... CLICK HERE for the thread.

FYI: The 6-wire Honda units that duaneage provides are all the rage and work great.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 02-20-2009, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Five wire R/R is fine. Three wires feeding in the A/C current, one hot wire and one ground.

Before hooking it up to the bike, look to make sure your bike doesn't have a separate regulator and rectifier. If so, check the wiring carefully before hooking up the new combined unit.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

In case you're wondering, all the 6th wire does in the other setup is sense voltage drop. It's not necessary (but it can give the stator an easier life although with our 30 year old wiring looms I wouldn't bet on it!)

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I, Too, have a Honda 5 wire unit. I'm guessing the 3 blacks are the stator leads, the red tracer is pos (which can be connected to the starter solenoid pos lead) and the white is ground. This, of course, is just a guess. You'll have to verify for yourself. My Honda has 3 yellows, a green and a red lead, making it much more intuitive.

Comment

thanks for the input guys, I didnt find it on the list. I have read the Upgrade info on here and my bike still does have a seperate rectifier and regulator as of now. This one might work. It is off a 99 CBR 900 it has RS41 stamped on the side.
            thanks
            Jeff
            78 550E

Comment

Welcome Jeff. I'm on my second GS, and with both I've replaced the original solid state Regulator/Rectumfrier (R/R) with a Honda type. In my case, my GS's (850L then a 1000L) were 1980+ and they came with R/R's in one. In both cases, I also used early 1980s Honda CX400 or 500 R/R's. The first swap on my GS850 worked perfectly without a hitch. On the GS1000, I'm still waiting for warmer weather to finish working on the bike.

Either way, I am a strong proponent of replacing the stock GS R/R's, as well as doing a good inspection of all electrical connectors, especially within the charging system. You may even want to replace some of those connectors. Many on the site recommend doing so.

It seems I've read of others finding success with Honda CBR R/R's of more recent vintage, perhaps like yours, but can't recall with 100% certainty. You may find such converstations by doing some thread searches.

Also, converting from an older style R/R arrangement to a joint, solid state R/R is doable. I know that YAM XS650 types do it all the time and are supported by some pretty strong aftermarket suppliers as well.

Whatever you do, the collective brain power on this site, especially some significant core contributors, will get you through just about everything you need.

Again, welcome aboard and good luck.

Comment

Hi,

I was hesitant to say that it would work because of this information in the other thread:

Finally there are some regulators that physically look similar to the GS type shunt regulators, but they are actually for field winding controlled alternators such as used by Honda on the Larger CB750 to 900 range and some others. These are NOT interchangeable with shunt type regulators and will not work on a GS!

As long as you're sure it's a shunt regulator an not a field winding regulator, then you should be OK. I've used 5 and 6 wire r/r units on my bike. There's a 6 wire "duaneage" unit on there now.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                X