10 miles on the FZR front end...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 miles on the FZR front end...

Ok, so 10 miles isn't much, but I'm fighting off a nasty sinus infection and cold so having gone 10 miles, though making my heart and soul feel alive and free, probably set my physical recovery back two days.

Anyway...

1981 GS750 with 1991 Yamaha FZR600 forks, triples, wheel, brakes, and clip-ons...ignition, too, since my GS piece was buggered.

Changes from my previous setup:

Turn-in is a bit sharper, but not shockingly so.

Braking is actually a little weaker, but I'm now running smaller rotors (298mm vs 310mm) with slightly smaller calipers. I'll be putting braided lines on soon and that may make up some of the difference, but I'm actually pleased with it. A little more forgiveness is good while I still acquaint myself to the new suspension.

You can definitely tell the bike wasn't meant to have clip-ons. I'll have to be doing some modifications to the tank for clearance, but I don't mind...the tank is already beat up pretty good so this isn't a concern at all.

Riding position, with the clip-ons and stock pegs, is pretty tame by my reckoning, but my point of view is a bit skewed since all of my first streetbikes were ex-racebikes. For reference, I'll post my "showoff" folder at the bottom and you guys can see how low the bars were on my CX and I thought they were tolerable.

It's so nice to have forks that work really well. My old showa forks were nice by 1979 standards, but these? It's amazing what a difference 12 years made.

Biggest concern with going to dedicated sportbike suspension is ride height...the FZR forks are no different. Clearance went from 5.10" to 4.08". It's not too bad...If my math is right my suspension bottoms out before I see that, but not by far. I'm going to give it a shot. My header is already a bit dinged on the bottom, so I'll see if I hit anything new. If so, then I'm going to...well...change something. I may stab the FZR swingarm in there and weld new tabs for the shocks closer to the pivot to add some height, but I don't know yet. I'd at least be able to stab in my YZF600 wheel later and run a 160.

The short version, though, is I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT!

Dirty pics...I'm too sick to wash the bike...bite me...

\/ next... \/

Now, to recap for anyone interested:

The FZR front wasn't exactly a direct bolt on. You have to have the whole assembly, triples and clip-ons. You will have to remove the bottom bearing and add a 5mm spacer beneath it. Then it's a bolt-on mod. Use your GS top bearing, or the FZR bearing, whichever looks better...or get new bearings for both ends. The FZR uses the same bearings as the GS.

Have fun.

Next projects: Gettign rid of the tail plastic and doing something a bit more simplistic in the back, doing something about that battery though it is nice to be able to ride 100 miles if your stator ****s, and clean the girl up.

Comment

Just confirmed with a few other folks...YZF600R Thundercat front ends are also compatible.

Comment

Man that looks cool as ....!!! Not familiar with the fzr,so where did the headlight come from? Was it on the fzr & if not what did it take to mount it up? Would like to do that fzr frontend on my 80 750E & extend the swingarm. Definitely interested in seeing what you do to the rear plastics also. I like the look so far!

Comment

The headlight brackets are the '81 GS pieces, but I had to squish them a bit to make them fit between the triples with the clip-ons. I had to remove the rubber grommets, which I don't like, but it made them a perfect fit (diameter wise). I'll be sourcing another headlight eventually.

Comment

I was under the impression the 81 750E had the square headlight like my 80 model is why I asked. I went & looked in the gallery just now & seen them with both? I don't care much for the square headlight. Learning something new everyday.

Comment

Square headlights got to bolt to the bike somehow, don't they? The brackets are compatible between the two. The actual bucket and light is from a '79, but that's not adviseable because of the sealed beam. I have to hunt up a composite piece, at the minimum. My headlight sucks.

Comment

Nice proportions

So what size tires U running there? Looks like you got the stock swingarm? Thinking about doing an 1100 swinger? I like it ; giving me ideas about my GS750EX.

I know the three spoke 18" wheels are hard to come by but those are 17" right? Please explain again why your are doing Yammy stuff to the GS; is it cheaper?

Pos
                Last edited by posplayr; 02-23-2009, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Hi Mr. makenzie71,

Nice work. That looks like a lot of fun. I commend your skills. I hope you can make that bike into exactly what your looking for. Thanks for the interesting thread.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

posplayer...I'm using a GS500 wheel on the back (3.5X17). I'm sticking with that because I really don't need anything wider than a 140...I can get a 150 on it (a few brands are made for 3.5" wheels) but I don't see needing to do it. If I get a hankering for a wider wheel then I'll either hunt the 1100 swinger or put in the FZR swingarm I have and run a YZF600R rear wheel.

I'm running the Yamaha stuff because it's basically a bolt on and I had it here to use. I'm going to be recommending it...often...because you can buy the entire front ends for $150 shipped. Kat fronts are a bit beefier but this works for those who are a bit more budget minded.

Comment

Match made in heaven...

I like it!!! Who says Yammi and Suzi were never meant to be married. Did an "illegal wedding" myself cuz it's what I had and it fit.

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
                        Square headlights got to bolt to the bike somehow, don't they? The brackets are compatible between the two. The actual bucket and light is from a '79, but that's not adviseable because of the sealed beam. I have to hunt up a composite piece, at the minimum. My headlight sucks.

I am aware that the square headlight bolts to the bike via brackets , just didn't know they were compatible.This is my 1st GS & like I said.."learning something new everyday".

Comment

Working...
                        X