shift shaft seal removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shift shaft seal removal

This one is a bugger. When i tried to remove my shift shaft seal it tore into pieces. Ive spent hours futilely trying to remove it bit by bit and im not getting much done. Is there any sort of solvent that will melt this stuff? or does anyone have any useful tools for removing a shredded seal?

never done or seen one installed/removed, but i am assuming it is a rubber/viton seal with a metal OD like any other major circular seal. if its already mangled, try a pick (careful not to score the ID of the shaft opening too badly) or perhaps a flat screwdriver/chisel and small hammer.

Comment

Torch. If this seal is like the one on my 650, it has a rubber seal inside a metal cup. On mine, I could pry the cup out with a pick. Others have used a sheet metal screw driven into the metal and then pull out with pliers, crowbar, dynamite, whatever is handy...

Worst case scenario, remove clutch cover, clutch as necessary and pull shift shaft out. This will allow you get a better grip on the seal with pliers. FWIW, the clutch shaft seal is the same part.

Comment

Originally posted by waterman View Post
        Torch. If this seal is like the one on my 650, it has a rubber seal inside a metal cup. On mine, I could pry the cup out with a pick. Others have used a sheet metal screw driven into the metal and then pull out with pliers, crowbar, dynamite, whatever is handy...

Worst case scenario, remove clutch cover, clutch as necessary and pull shift shaft out. This will allow you get a better grip on the seal with pliers. FWIW, the clutch shaft seal is the same part.

well thats the thing the middle of the seal came out but the rest is in place. the pliers just tore the seal apart. im soaking it in aircraft stripper now. it eats rubber decently. im also contemplating a torch as well...HAHA.

Comment

may i ask if you are doing this on the bike, or do you have the particular part off of the bike?

Comment

Originally posted by jed.only View Post
            may i ask if you are doing this on the bike, or do you have the particular part off of the bike?
            the bike is stripped. only engine and wiring harness remains. my goal is to be able to ride by spring break which is 2 weeks away. (yea im a lowly college student yearning for a break) but when shes done it will be epic i will probably take for a 4 day ride.

Comment

Usually what is left now is a metal ring that needs to be bent slightly inwards to loosen it. A narrow sharp screwdriver should do it, use a small hammer tap the edge untill it bends inwards slightly and loosens.
              While you are at it do the clutch shaft as well it is the same size seal as waterman said!

Comment

Working...
              X