Aftermarket carbs for GS1000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket carbs for GS1000?

Looking for ideas on replacing the stock 34mm Mikuni CV carbs on my '80 GS1000 with something that'll give some more power. Engine has a 1100cc kit and .395 lift Web cams, stock head, stock valve size.

What would be a good choice for this engine? Mikuni RS? Keihin CR? Some form of GSXR carb?

Should they stay at 33-34 mm or go bigger to to 36 or 38 mm sizes?

Is there a seat of the pants power difference between stock and aftermarket carbs?

If I had the big port head on my bike. I would most likely go with vm33's or maybe keihin cr. I would want to keep it round slide carbs though, not flat sides. But since I have a small port head. I am running vm29 smoothbores and I like them very much. Thats what "I" would do.

Comment

Mikuni RS flatsides 36mm should do you nicely.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

General chat back in the 80's was carbs are worth about 8hp over stock CV's. Have 29mm smoothies on mine only because my 33mm smoothies had a "mate" borrowed them for his drug habit when he was staying at my place... They say 29s are better for the street but would have loved 33s as i rode my bike with the 33s when is was new as my boss owned it back then and did 2nd gear roll-on wheelies.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
          had a "mate" borrowed them for his drug habit when he was staying at my place...
          I hate when that happens....
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

How streetable are the Mikuni RS carbs? Can you putt around town with them or are they best at half to wide open throttle?

Also, how fast is the throttle response? The stock CVs have a bit of throttle lag which would be nice to get rid of.

Comment

The Mikuni RSs are VERY streetable but for your motor instead of 36s, I would use the 34 RSs as they will keep the port velocity higher & are still available NEW! Ray.

Comment

Working...
              X